Today I learned...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Louanne Learning, Nov 24, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

I just bought one earlier this week and I think I paid a dollar more for it here, if my memory serves me correctly. Pretty sure, but I'm the type of shopper who doesn't look at prices. If I need it, I just buy it. Different from my sister who keeps an app on her phone that shows the prices of various items at different grocery stores and then she gets the lowest price matched where she buys her groceries.

2. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

today i learned to "be careful what you wish for..."

me: -makes mashed potatoes-
    Dog: -stands up and eats from the bowl of mashed potatoes on the counter-
    me: -angrily throws away mashed potatoes- I HOPE YOU GET A STOMACH ACHE!

..... this morning.....
    awakens to a foul smell in the room.
    (you know the rest.... except, it was on my bed)

Set2Stun and Xoic like this.
  3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

It's also one of the four rivers flowing from the center of paradise. If I remember right one is milk, one is honey, one is oil (like olive oil), and I forget, maybe the other one is water? All considered divine substances.

4. Rath Darkblade

Rath Darkblade Senior Member

Which mythology is this part of?

If I remember, there are five rivers that flow into Hades. One is Lethe, oblivion, whose waters cause drinkers to forget their past. The others are Acheron (the river of pain and misery), Cocytus (the river of lamentation) and Phlegethon (the river of fire), and Styx (the river of hate, by whose water the gods swear their most binding oath).
    ==========================
    Today I learned (again) about probably the most pointless war in history, the War of the Bucket. An estimated 2,000 people died in this 1325 AD war between Italian city-states Modena and Bologna, which began when some Modenese soldiers stole a bucket from a well in Bologna.

If it makes a difference: Modena won, and immediately stole another bucket.

I don't know if this is hilarious or deeply, deeply depressing. Maybe both. I swear, some people would start a war if someone else pissed in a stinking back alley somewhere.

5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Oh man, it's hard to say. I've picked up so much weird esoteric stuff from so many different sources, I couldn't begin to remember what came from where exactly. I think I heard that from a guy I was talking to on another message board long ago who was like a library of esoteric knowledge.

Here:

Rivers of Paradise, the four rivers of Paradise,[2]or "the rivers of[3]/flowing from[4] Eden" are the four rivers described in Genesis 2:10–14,[5] where an unnamed stream flowing out of the Garden of Eden splits into four branches: Pishon, Gihon, Hiddekel (Tigris), and Phrath (Euphrates). These four rivers form a feature of the Garden that is popular in the Abrahamic religions.[6]

Judaism
    The rabbinic tradition does not interpret rivers literally, instead, they are believed to represent honey, milk, balsam, and wine.[15] Genesis Rabbah identifies the rivers as four corners of the world: Pishon as Babylonia, Gihon as Media, Hiddekel as Greece, Euphrates as Rome. It also states that all waters in the world flow from the foot of the Tree of Life.[16]

Islam
    Similarly to Judaism,[17] Islam treats the rivers of Paradise (anhār al-janna) as carrying the honey, milk, water, and wine (cf. Q 47:15[18]).[19] However, Hosseinizadeh[20] remarks that these are not the same rivers as in the Bible, since there are four types of rivers, not four rivers in this verse.

From Wikipedia