Random and useless thoughts and facts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big soft moose, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Sir Reginald Pinkleton

Sir Reginald Pinkleton Active Member

Currently Reading::
    Anabasis
    Alas, no.

Didn't even see a towel.

Rath Darkblade likes this.
  2. Rath Darkblade

Rath Darkblade Senior Member

Oh, dear. They're clearly not hoopy froods who know where their towels are. ;)

3. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    On the Interstate highway in Iowa, near the Girls' reformatory, there's a sign that advises drivers to avoid picking up hitchhikers, the only such sign I've seen. I suppose they have a problem with runaways.

4. KiraAnn

KiraAnn Contributor Contributor

There’s a similar sign near the Reformatory by Springer, NM.

5. Le Panda Du Mal

Le Panda Du Mal Contributor Contributor

By "reformatory" do y'all mean a prison, or one of those "troubled teen" camps?

6. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    For me, it's more like the latter.

7. Le Panda Du Mal

Le Panda Du Mal Contributor Contributor

Okay. I’ve known some kids that were in those. If I see someone running away it’s probably for a good reason.

Gibberish likes this.
  8. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
    Props from the Game of Thrones show are up for auction:
    https://entertainment.ha.com/c/search/results.zx?si=2&dept=2182&live_state=5318%7E5319%7E5320%7E5321%7E5324&auction_name=7366&mode=live&page=48%7E1&sb=7&ic4=SortBy-071515

I'd love to get some neat trinket, but it's looking like this will be for rich people only. Even the least significant items are getting plenty of bids. The big items? Forget about it. Jon Snow's sword is already at $31,000. The Hand's pin is $19,500, two of the three dragon eggs are at over $8,000, The Hound's helmet is at $9,000. And that's with nearly a month to go, still. Sigh.

How cool would it be to own this? Bet it's going to cost over $50K by the end:

shame.JPG

Louanne Learning and Xoic like this.
  9. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Like those ass clowns need any more money.

10. Rath Darkblade

Stuff for people with too much money and not enough sense.

Coming up next: Peter Jackson sells Thorin Oakenshield's tree-shield for a cool billion dollars and buys Cuba. :bigtongue:

11. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

The Statue of Liberty apparently has a broken chain she walks over.

I think I just ended that sentence on a preposition. I am not sorry.

Louanne Learning likes this.
  12. Rath Darkblade

That is the type of hidebound pedantry up with which you must not put.

(Sorry, Mr. Churchill).

KiraAnn and Louanne Learning like this.
  13. KiraAnn

The one I referred to is more of a minimum security prison with mandatory schooling. Been there for a long long time.

Xoic likes this.
  14. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

It's hard to tell here if you mean it's been there a long time, or that you have. :meh: :p

15. KiraAnn

lol

the “school” as it is often referred as.

Xoic likes this.
  16. Xoic

Ok. We believe you. :D

17. Sir Reginald Pinkleton

Anabasis
    I was off work sick today, so no training on the rescue boat tonight. This is why I was sitting outside my daughter's gymnastics class earlier when an industrial building on top of the hill exploded.

Naturally, the sensible thing to do would be to call the emergency services and leave them to it.

That is not what I did.

I jumped in the car and took off like the Dukes of Hazzard because the nearest fire station has a ten minute response time to there and I was three minutes away at most. Obviously, I could do nothing for the fire, but I'm still perfectly capable of doing emergency casualty care, even if I'd have to improvise a bit without the trauma bag. Luckily, that was not required; it seemed that nobody was in the building. Presumably some sort of machine or process hadn't been properly shut down when it closed for the day. I just drove back to pick up my daughter, passing a number of fire appliances on the way, but no ambulances, so I'm guessing no potential casualties had been reported to them, either.

I don't know why I did that. I don't know why I'm posting about it, either. Maybe I'm looking for validation that I'm just a decent person and not a crazy Walter Mitty type or some sort of cynical glory hunter or something.

Rath Darkblade and J.T. Woody like this.
  18. Xoic

You're a First Reponder, right? Aren't they trained to run toward trouble when everybody else is running away? I think it's also just in their nature to begin with, or you wouldn't be able to train it into them.

19. Sir Reginald Pinkleton

Anabasis
    I am, though I have a big orange boat now, instead of the big red truck and it's purely on a volunteer basis.

I just get a bit embarrassed when I do these things. I doubt my own motives; I want to be a certain kind of person and that person does certain things.

Also I just... can't not do it.

I'm pretty 'famous' in the agency I actually work for for pulling off a rescue in my first couple of months on the job. Search and rescue isn't part of our remit, but I couldn't just...not do it. You know? Now every time I meet one of the Higher-Ups they're always 'oh, you're the guy who...'.

I'm quite proud of what I pulled off that night and I feel bad for being proud of it. It was the longest stretch of casualty care in a risk area that I've ever done- over three hours- and basically single handed, as the only trained medic on scene. Still, we don't do these things for kudos.

It was shortly after that that a place came up on the boat crew and I jumped at it.

Anyway. I'm rambling again.

20. B.E. Nugent

B.E. Nugent Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Hey, Sir Reg. I don't know if you're Irish or Catholic but that's about the most Irish RC post I've seen around these parts.

Sometimes we all need someone who knows what to do and is willing to do it in a crisis. We also know there's more than self-interest and ranking in valour involved when people act in this manner. (Un)common decency fits right in there too. It's ok to be proud of a skillset that allows you to intervene in a crisis and make things better for people in distress.

The orange boat sounds like RNLI. I've a sister who's helm on one and she responds decisively and authoritatively on call outs, with primary interest in getting everyone home safely. She's very good at it and we're proud of her for it, but I would not cross her when she's orchestrating a rescue. The motives of self-satisfaction and altruism are not automatically in conflict, so be proud of your achievements while ensuring you recognise no-one is invincible.

Xoic likes this.
  21. Sir Reginald Pinkleton

Anabasis
    Thanks.

I'm neither, as it happens, but I get what you mean.

I think my thoughts on myself are best summarised by considering two episodes of Red Dwarf, specifically The Inquisitor and Dimension Jump.

If a time travelling killer robot ever asks me to justify my existence, I want to have something for that.

Also, I just really want to be the Ace version of myself not...the other guy, you know?

GrahamLewis and B.E. Nugent like this.
  22. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    This time of year, sunny September days, when the University year gets underway and fills with students, I drive near campus and I see the co-eds walk past in their summer garb, sweet young things showing a remarkable amount of flesh, and I overhear them talking and laughing midst themselves and bantering with young guys, flirting . . . .this is the time I feel especially old, and I think of the lines from T.S. Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock":

I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each/I do not think they will sing to me.

Ah, but there was a time. There was a time.

Set2Stun and Louanne Learning like this.
  23. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

All each of us have is today.

Set2Stun likes this.
  24. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/nkZBQ1W9bZjkFqFr/

Might be an old man moment here, but I think we need more of this: to show people that life ain't over just cause they're not young anymore. There are people out there who hadn't really started living until they're in their sixties, because they had to spend the last fifty years trying to figure themselves and their lives out.

Don't get me wrong, work at it (whatever it is) but be patient with yourself. This ain't no speed race. The spunky kid in his twenties got a PhD, or is a hit musician? Good for them, they ain't you.

Take it easy, be patient. It ain't a race.

Louanne Learning likes this.
  25. Sir Reginald Pinkleton

Anabasis
    Hey, it might be worth a shot.

One of those university mermaids is currently singing to me. Well, sending me flirty messages on WhatsApp at all hours of the day and night, but you get the idea. Funnily enough, it was my Marine Mammal Rescue hoodie that got her attention in the bar...

Go cast your net!