1. XavierThyme

XavierThyme New Member

Writing a convincing scene (Explained in first post)

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by XavierThyme, Dec 29, 2023.

My character is semi-immortal, as they are immune to aging (though not immune to the degradation of the mind due to age, such as memory loss), and in the current Kingdom, a minister has him put on trial before the people.

During the centuries long blight, many necessary but horrid things were done by him and his clan. For reference, if you've played Elden Ring, the way the houses in the capital look are fitting for what they had to do for some people infected with Blight. It would corrupt their mind, and some would die of the shock of the God's Blood the blight was made of trying to transform them, as the disease was spread via a purple gaseous substance created when the blood of a God met flame from an explosion, spreading rapidly.
    They would have to often cordon off the home, seal the doors with wax, and either wait till the occupant died, or set the building aflame to burn the body, so the beast would die.

This minister is not seeking to put the character behind bars, but to have him not hide the shameful things they did, to not be so aloof with the kingdom. He wants them to remember, as my character so often preaches to preserve what little history survived the Blight.

I wanted to ask if anyone has good reference material to look at to get a good tone and manner of speaking for said minister to have.
    Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble.

TL;DR : Trying to write a character basically doing what this man is doing in this video (no politics intended, but this man's manner of speech is great) , but instead of with racism, it's about a character seemingly trying to pretend that their past doesn't exist, and that they need to do MORE to make things right. The character isn't necessarily doing nothing, but the other character thinks they aren't doing enough.

Additionally, a neat side thing that comes from this is said character then goes on to fund an orphanage's creation, and he personally visits almost weekly. Being as old as he is, I often say it helps him remember what he is fighting for- the future, and the prosperity that could be found there.

2. XavierThyme

XavierThyme New Member

An example of idea I had.

"Lord Xavier... your past is deeply troubled. Full of horrendous actions. Despite that, you seek atonement in your actions in the present... but something must be done. The world needs to remember the horrors that happened during the Blight, lest we forget. And if you truly wish to let go of that pain... let it start with the jars of ash you keep in your manor. Let those suffering souls finally rest, Guardian; they wouldn't want you to keep hold of such pain for this long."