1. trevorD

trevorD Senior Member

Writer's block during editing

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by trevorD, Aug 18, 2023.

...has been going on for months.

UUGH!!! How to snap out of it?

J.T. Woody likes this.
  2. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Currently Reading::
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Interesting. I don't think I've ever encountered writer's block during editing. First drafts? All the time. But it's when I get that first draft down that the fun begins, the juices begin to flow. Maybe try reading it aloud, either yourself or through a program or app, and just see what feels wrong (or right) and move on. At least, IMHO, when one is editing one has something concrete to work on.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
  3. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

I like to let a project sit for several weeks. Then do a read thru without editing, just making notes on what I need to fix. Sometimes the whole problem is a case of not seeing the forest for the trees.

4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Or months, especially if it's a novel. For a short story weeks (or even days) can be enough. But a novel is so big, and you're so deeply hooked into it, that it takes a long time to separate from it enough to see it with fresh eyes again.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
  5. w. bogart

I said several, as in more than two, but open ended on the high side. By the time I have finished a novel, only the ending is still fresh in mind.

6. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

Got me some of that. Sort of.
    My second story's been to the editors, and I'm actually kinda happy that the videocall we're supposed to have couldn't be planned sooner. Conveniently forces me to not go near the manuscript.

My problem's not that I don't know what to change. I'm pretty confident in what changes to make, but it's gonna be a big-ass rewrite and I don't wanna.
    I've written The End already. We all know that's definitely not when you're done, but I have trouble disconnecting the two.
    Ugh, and just the amount of work I know is gonna go into it. I've been close to releasing the story already, so now it feels like climbing a mountain when you can see the ski lift.
    Don't know if that counts as writer's block, but it's blocking something.

7. w. bogart

I did a complete rewrite, afyer Randy and Laura got done editting. The feedback from their report made the rewrite much easier. Randy will remind you of the five commandments of a scene, repeatedly. Lol. They will detail the problems they see, and provide suggestions for possible fixes. Lots of good feedback.

Bakkerbaard likes this.
  8. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Currently Reading::
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    "editting"