Who are you and what do you write?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minstrel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. PHNTM

PHNTM New Member

I'm Ethan. I'm an 18 year old college student who finds freedom in writing, and I love writing a mix of adventure and romance. I also find my freedom behind the wheel and never managed to find a good book about a driver, so my project right now is about a kid who doesn't quite make it in the love life, so he gets behind the wheel instead.

scienceotter, PiP and Rzero like this.
  2. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Welcome, Ethan. Another Freedom Driver here. Enjoy writing your story!

PHNTM and Rzero like this.
  3. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi Ethan,

Not sure I can help you with a good book about driving. But as movies go there's Duel which probably won't be so much a driving movie as a weird thriller, Wraith - which really doesn't make much sense but the Interceptor is cool, and Baby Driver which I love. Also the Gumballs but they're a bit dated now. And if its music, Drivers Seat by Sniff'n The Tears, which I still enjoy thirty, forty years later.

Cheers, Greg.

PHNTM likes this.
  4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Seconded. There's also The Driver, on which the video game Driver was based. It's the one with Ryan O'Neal made in 1978. Accept no substitutes. Another old favorite is Two Lane Blacktop.

PHNTM likes this.
  5. PHNTM

PHNTM New Member

Those are definitely some solid movies, I'll have to check out that music. Thanks!

6. KingBlue

KingBlue New Member

I’m a 20-something non-binary college student, and I write sci-fi fantasy, usually about young adults but sometimes straying toward teens depending on the story (also sometimes straying older!)

PHNTM and Rzero like this.
  7. sleepindawg

sleepindawg Senior Member

As far as Wrath goes: The movie is about a force taking vengeance on the town bullies/gang members within their own frame of reference. Notice that when the wraith races each bully that bully wrecks and dies meanwhile a part of the wraith's system of braces falls off. It's like keeping score.

8. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Yeah I know. But why is the wraith car destroyed each time in the fiery crash and then reborn? Is Sheen destroyed each time too? Why does he lose another piece of of his bracing each time he kills one? Is the force alien or supernatural? They seem to be pushing alien, but if it / they are, why would they care? Why wait six months or a year to start this cycle of vengeance? Why does no one including his little brother recognise Sheen? Why can the gang get away with this car jacking nut jobbery that they are carrying out? Does no one report them? And since in real life some of their victims at least would, why do they let their victims live? Also why do they even bother with the whole race thing? If you're going to steal a car, steal it! Some sort of flimsy excuse that you won it in a race wouldn't hold up anywhere. And since this is America, why do none of their victims have guns? And of course the list goes on.

The whole movie is like that. Just a series of ideas that the directors seemed to think were comic book cool, but which don't hang together. But as I say the car is awesome. Even in real life.

Cheers, Greg.

9. JT Lionheart

JT Lionheart New Member

Thanks for the acceptance into this amazing resource. I look forward to learning all that I can about becoming a better writer. I have been writing a Biography for a bit and seem sort of stalled out on it, for the time. I did pick up the baton and begin another book in the fiction category. This one is more exciting to write, but I need to understand the mechanics of how to do this before moving forward. I have eleven chapters so far, but I am once again hitting the wall. I am excited to be among peers.
    I am a male, living in the USA, a camp host, and I still hunt and peck on the keyboard.

BDL, PHNTM, Rzero and 1 other person like this.
  10. musclemom1234

musclemom1234 Banned

I'm Sara and I like to write realistic situations, humor and erotica.

I've been bodybuilding for 7 years and try to write about that as well...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2023
    Rzero likes this.
  11. FrankLloydsWrongs

FrankLloydsWrongs New Member

Hi, I'm Arthur, I'm mostly practicing genre fiction until I feel my writing has reached the level where I can do more highbrow stuff.

Rzero likes this.
  12. Moth Turner

Moth Turner New Member

Hi, I am Moth, and I like to write fiction that blends realism with magic. It usually crashes into fragments. I am also writing a memoir, partly to improve my style. Events, catering, and horticulture have been a lot of my work background. Animals, environment and neurodivergence are some of my passions.

Rzero likes this.
  13. BDL

BDL New Member

My chronological age is 54 and my biological gender is female, but I feel ageless and kind of androgynous.
    I write speculative fiction because I don't like restrictions, though my settings always include the here and now.
    My main characters are mostly male, and either older or much younger than myself.
    Everything related to romance is a concession I make for the few people who get to read my stories (they want this kind of stuff). I don't shy away from using language that's fit for my characters (even children use the f-word) or touch "sensible" topics.
    The main reason I write is because it's fun to invent stories (writing is secondary).
    Probably none of it will ever be published, but that's ok.

Rzero likes this.
  14. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Welcome Arthur, Moth, and BDL.

BDL likes this.
  15. Writing_NightOwl

Writing_NightOwl New Member

I’m a freshman in college and I write in both male and female POV because I love writing dual POV’s. Sometimes I write up to 4 POV’s in one story. Mostly I write fantasy but I equally love mystery.

Rzero likes this.
  16. BDL

BDL New Member

@Moth Turner
    I'do love these topics, and in a "speculative" way they are a big part of my plots.
    Do you use them in your writing?

17. Brinda Foster2023

Brinda Foster2023 New Member

Hi, name id Brinda Foster and I enjoy writing historical fiction and historical romance. Occasionally I also dabble in fantasy.

Rzero likes this.
  18. ashwaganda

ashwaganda Banned

I'm just starting to write novels

19. CelticKell

CelticKell New Member

Older woman here... 57... Married with a teenage boy and many older step-children. I like to write a variety: YA, dystopian, tear-jerkers, inspirational, devotional, some non-fiction and articles, with a goal of a family saga.

Madman and Rzero like this.
  20. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Is this common in your country? ;)

21. Rath Darkblade

Rath Darkblade Active Member

Yes ... I don't know many places where anyone can marry a teenage boy. (Maybe Utah).

Madman likes this.
  22. scienceotter

scienceotter New Member

Middle aged lady in the US who used to write science nonfiction for a living. I figure it's time to look within and see if I can pull out some of the sci-fi that's been lurking all this time. I have teenaged children so too real-life overloaded to consider drama, coming of age, YA.

Joe_Hall, SethLoki, Rzero and 2 others like this.
  23. kfior02

kfior02 New Member

Hi all, I'm Kristen. I'm a romance writer working on getting my first book published. Very happy to be part of this community.

petra4, Rzero, Joe_Hall and 2 others like this.
  24. Eastwind

Eastwind New Member Contest Winner 2024

I spent my life not reading or writing, and a year or two ago I discovered I love writing. I'm learning a lot, but I still have major issues. I had to look up what adjectives and nouns were last week since someone gave me advice with those words lol.

I love writing fantasy. There is so much that can be done with a sword and some hope.

petra4, Joe_Hall and B.E. Nugent like this.
  25. Starcatcher

Starcatcher Member

I've always liked storytelling. I loved picking up on patterns in TV shows and books and guessing as to what was gonna happen next. I'm usually able to guess what's going to happen in TV shows with pretty decent accuracy but I still get surprised by certain things.

Currently my main project is a fanfiction in a script format that I'd like to make into an animated series one day. On the internet, of course, I doubt the networks would let me do what I want even if they did want to buy it. I think I've been doing pretty good, though even now I'm still not sure about the changes I made to certain characters in terms of personality.

I love fantasy stories too. Really anything with superpowers or magic.

Rzero and Eastwind like this.