Who are you and what do you write?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by minstrel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Wolfdemonofhell

Wolfdemonofhell Member

I have no idea what a wip is

2. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Work in Progress

3. oraxa

oraxa Member

Currently Reading::
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Housseini
    I'm a 19 year old university student writing realistic fiction with some fantasy and romance on the side

4. Wolfdemonofhell

Wolfdemonofhell Member

Oh, thank you

5. Wolfdemonofhell

Wolfdemonofhell Member

For wip with most done is my fallout 4 Fic, I’ve got 10 finished and posted and I’m stuck on chapter 12

my Skyrim Fic only has 4 chapters but I’ve put each chapter at about 10k words each with me being stuck partially finished on chapter 4

the ‘dirty deeds’ fallout Fic I’m working on has 2 maybe 3 partially finished chapters with an additional 6 chapters of where I got a short scrap of who, where and what for the chapter then haven’t touched them since (this is where a machine to save and record thoughts in video format would be helpful)

6. Kimberly3535

Kimberly3535 New Member

Hello my name is Kimberly and unfortunately I have not written anything as of yet but is eager to learn the skills on how to become a successful writer for scripts. I will love to write about romance or even comedy. Anything that is realistic and funny.

Seven Crowns and Rzero like this.
  7. Catriona Grace

Welcome, Kimberly.

8. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Used to write purely sci fi (urban and space opera) and fantasy (epic and urban) but have branched out into detective / mystery this last year. Don't know why but it's fun!

Cheers, Greg.

9. Ari Keehl

Ari Keehl New Member

I am 22 years old and write horror novels and fanfiction.

Dewey, evild4ve and Rzero like this.
  10. Omlette

Omlette New Member

Hi to each individual who posts on this beautiful forum and also hi to those who moderate it. :)

I have published three e-books on Amazon. One is a self help book for people in the mental health community. The other is a novel for teenagers to increase their confidence. The last book is a spiritual book about my interpretation of the message of Jesus.

I wrote these books during the pandemic because I was always dreaming about them.

I couldn't sleep...

Now that I have written them I can finally get some rest. :)

I know many of you also have had such a experience where the universe downloads a story and characters into your dreams.

It is an honour to be part of a forum of wonderful writers such as yourselves and I hope to post whenever there is time.

Becoming an author was my dream ever since high-school...

I know each one of you who post on this wonderful forum love writing just as much as I do.

Wish each of you success with your writing and book projects.

Have a blessed weekend.

Sincerely,

Abbey

evild4ve likes this.
  11. rokurota8

rokurota8 Member

I am a filmmaker who writes screenplays, several which have placed in competitions.
    I write short stories more as a pastime. Though it's becoming a fairly serious past time.
    I write erotica. That's mainly what I am posting here. It is rather straight-male centric erotica, but I have found that certain women get something out of it as well. And certain men hate it. I suppose it depends on what kind of person you are. It might be for a niche audience.

Influences: Hemingway, Flannery O'Connor, Raymond Chandler, Thomas Mann, Chekhov, Gogol, Raymond Carver. Peeps like that.

Rzero likes this.
  12. Catriona Grace

Welcome to the forum.

13. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Sorry to hear it. Maybe you can find work as a plumber or something? :p

Or was that just a very unfortunate typo, making it sound like your script-scribbling has moved from present to past tense? It's the absolute worst kind of typo, that actually makes it mean the exact opposite of what you were trying to say. As a writer, ya gotta be really careful about that kinda stuff...

14. Nomad416

Nomad416 Member

I'm a 39M, disabled, who writes mostly fan fiction, although I use largely my own cast of characters and plot lines. My favorite subjects are the GTA universe of which I have two stories written starring my own original protagonist, military techno-thrillers like Tom Clancy stuff, and post-apocalyptic.

Rzero likes this.
  15. Michaelpoet

Michaelpoet Banned

Black Brothers Inc
    I am a 36 year old male from the Northeastern United States. I mostly write about anxiety/mental illness. Unfortunately, I am not skilled enough to write outside of my comfort zone just yet.

16. Vince Higgins

Vince Higgins Curmudgeon. Contributor

Caltrans-Detention Basins Design Guide
    I think most writers start from addressing pain. I sure did.

17. Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat New Member

54 year old man, had local success years ago, and recently decided to return, focusing more toward horror, science fiction, and fantasy/supernatural.

PiP, Xoic and evild4ve like this.
  18. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Glances at upper left (if you're reading this) hand side of the screen, sees name tag...(Who are you?)

Words in a linear, semi-coherent format and sarcastic rejoinders. (What do you write?)

PiP likes this.
  19. Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat New Member

If in reference to my response, it is fairly simple to break down, as I began writing early, and left the field after local success. Being raised in the Coalfields in the 1980's had very few connections to the outside world, since the internet was not available, magazines and publishers could take months to reply. I left the dream of becoming a successful writer, and only recently decided to return in any serious capacity.
    As for what I write, I like science fiction, and choose to write horror with the inclusion of ancient beasts, gods in a modern setting.
    When properly done, this way of writing often means more research, but also creates a story that can entertain, or captivate readers. It can require a greater level of creativity, and more enjoyable, for myself.

Xoic likes this.
  20. VC_1983

VC_1983 New Member

The Bone Tree by Greg Iles
    Hello!

I am 39, female from the UK, married, two kids. Past career in journalism, now working and lecturing in business and marketing.

I am going to try and tip the balance from horror and fantasy because I write observational humour/drama! If anyone else falls into this genre please let me know! I am looking to buddy up with writers of a similar style.

:D

Xoic, PiP, Rzero and 1 other person like this.
  21. Username Required

Username Required Active Member

Hey, I didn’t know we were listing those as part of our introductions!

Influences (I’m a poet): Robert Frost, William Wordsworth, Georges Brassens, Susan Jarvis Bryant, Brian Yapko. Plus, more generally, folk songs, hymns, and classic poetry in English and French.

Xoic likes this.
  22. Miles Better

Miles Better New Member

I'm a former telecommunications engineer, turned white goods engineer, turned electrician, turned marine electrician, turned skipper. 'S'nough about me!
    I write Urban fantasy. Now, as I see it, urban fantasy is setting something that is unlikely, perhaps improbable, into a regular setting that is known. For instance...
    A guy goes through regular schooling, grows up in a city, has normal friends etc etc. Hasn't got a mum he has ever known, and his father dies under mysterious circumstances when he is 14. He drowns three times in his lifetime. Knows there is something about his parentage that is hidden and goes in search of that... Add a mermaid or two, a gateway to a parallel world. Et voila... Urban fantasy.
    I might write flash-fiction and poetry too.

PiP and Xoic like this.
  23. Vince Higgins

Vince Higgins Curmudgeon. Contributor

Caltrans-Detention Basins Design Guide
    Retired manufacturing engineer with sidesteps into architecture/construction and three wonderful yet traumatic years teaching vocational education.

I aspire to write like Vonnegut. Lately been focusing on non-fiction science literacy focused essays. Much of that is teaching myself videography and finding work arounds to the limitations of cell phone cameras. I have a Youtube channel.

Two novels unfinished. One is a coming of age tale based on an incident in my youth, the other a historical piece that spans the holocaust, the troubles in northern Ireland, and latin immigration on the southern U.S. border in the '60s.

Besides Vonnegut, Heinlein Clarke and Asimov, Steinbeck, Ursula Le Guin, Clancy, Sinclair Lewis, and others. My style is straightforward narrative.

Set2Stun, Xoic and PiP like this.
  24. Mandar

Mandar New Member

I am 32 year old male and I love writing Sci-fi.

Rzero, Dewey and PiP like this.
  25. MistressOlive

MistressOlive Member

His Darkest Secrets series
    I am a human. Right now, my preferred genre is romance, fantasy, and spirituality (but not the religious type).

petra4 and Rzero like this.