The Writers Block Thread

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Sapphire, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Currently Reading::
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    I've been doing this for a couple years without knowing it was great writing advice. I endorse it fully. I especially try to leave it like this on my last writing day before it's back to work for the week. It'd be difficult to just jump into it again the following Saturday if I didn't leave it at a spot where it's easy to keep going.

Louanne Learning likes this.
  2. Damage718

Damage718 Senior Member

The idea of walking away/coming back later with fresh eyes has merit, and it really can work. But it can be something of a detriment. Following Hemingway's advice, what if you forget exactly what you had thought of for what happens next? What if the next morning you have a completely different idea? What if what made sense and felt good yesterday doesn't today? I feel like I run into this constantly.

Louanne Learning likes this.
  3. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

You're not alone. But if you have that better idea tomorrow, you can pursue it and discard what you previously thought was the next step in the story. And if you've forgotten what that previous step was, it probably wasn't that good, and you've liberated yourself from it.

4. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

I work one-on-one with writers who are stuck, and very often what is sticking them is not a lack of ideas (this is why I think the threat of the dreaded ‘writer’s block’ is a little overblown) but on the contrary, an excess of ideas, and a reluctance – or inability – to choose which to focus on.

- Sari Botton on Substack

J.T. Woody and Louanne Learning like this.