1. Robert Menard

Robert Menard New Member

The Impossible?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Robert Menard, Dec 5, 2023.

Hey guys. I'm writing a story about a woman who has self esteem issues and develops breast cancer and is forced to change her self esteem to self confidence by her hospital neighbor who loves to put her down to make herself feel better. Yet I'm missing the very thing that makes something about this story an impossible feat to overcome. I cannot think of any ideas and need your help. I just want to make this story beleivable. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day!

2. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Hi @Robert Menard, and welcome to the forum

A noble goal with any story, but the problem as I see it is that you don't really have a story yet, you have a character arc with a hint of plot. When you come up with the "impossible feat" you will be getting closer to a story, and that could be literally anything. Getting out of hospital to dandle her new grandson on her knee, fulfilling a road-trip ambition in honour of a now-departed school-friend, climbing the mountain that her father died on, learning to juggle chainsaws/walk a tightrope/ride a unicycle... a very good friend of mine (who has metastatic breast-cancer) just wants to celebrate her 80th birthday...

Good luck with the work, see if others spitball a few ideas, or throw a few of your own out there to see what people think.