1. HemlockCordial

HemlockCordial Member

Currently Reading::
    "No. 44, The Mysterious Stranger" by Mark Twain

Shaping scenes for a cohesive narrative

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by HemlockCordial, Oct 26, 2023.

I'm not quite sure what sub-category to put this under, but does anyone have tips/resources they can recommend for fully developing and connecting scenes for a plot?

Currently, I'm writing a novella-length story and struggle with keeping the narrative seamless and paced well. The tool I've relied on the most to get me through this is the 'scenes and sequels' method. That helped to trouble-shoot some of the issues, but if there are other methods or ways to go about it, please share!

An example for context (not critique):

In my current draft of a chapter, I've identified seven "blocks" to the narrative, some of which could be called scenes, but some of which are more like "sub-scenes" that convey important interactions or information. The structure is something like:

1) establishing the setting/mindset of the MC
    2) establishing the tone/relationships between the MC and other characters in the setting
    3) establishing the driving theme of the chapter (an aspect of the entire work) in a meaningful conversation between MC and characters
    4) action/incident that sets a challenge/dilemma for the MC
    5) setting change (perhaps the weakest part currently)
    6) disaster/confrontation MC resolves that deals with chapter theme
    7) realizations/reflection that puts incidents into perspective and sets a new challenge for MC

It's... kind of a lot for one chapter. I usually treat chapters as miniature stories in their own right (but not always). When I write, I build out from essential ideas rather than edit down superfluous ones, so these drafts start short. The blocks above happen within 2.7K words, and it feels very choppy, but I struggle with building it out in a way that feels more organic.

Any advices? Also: For folks that tend to edit-down rather than build out, how do you draft and shape your stories into cohesive narratives? Thanks!

Seven Crowns likes this.
  2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Tough to tell without reading it. Pop it into the workshop when you're ready and have satisfied your 2 for 1 critique requirements. You'll get plenty of feedback on those 7 points you mentioned.

It does seem like a lot for one chapter but some of those things can be established in a sentence or two.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  3. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Keep in mind that this doesn't need to be done in order. You can hold on to any one of those pieces and reveal it later out of sequence. You might want to do that just because it fits a more dramatic arc.

HemlockCordial and Homer Potvin like this.
  4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I agree with Homer, we don't know what kinds of problems you might be having with coherency until we can see them. And actually, if you post a scene, we still won't be able to see how well it connects with other scenes to continue the story.

It could be that you need to clearly define the spine of the story. That's the major idea that it should all be built around. As an example, the spine of the original Star Wars was that Luke Skywalker had to get the Death Star plans from his backwater planet to the rebel alliance so they could destroy the big scary super-weapon. Everything else that happened along the way relates directly or indirectly to that, including rescuing the princess. That was really more of a side-deal, but she was a powerful personage associated with the rebels, and their erstwile leader, so it was also associated. His aunt and uncle were killed because storm troopers knew the plans were there somewhere, and then because they were dead he had no place to stay and no reason not to get involved in the war anymore (which he wanted to do from the beginning). It's why they had to hire a ship and a pilot who was shady enough and capable enough to get them there without getting caught. Everything can be clearly associated with the spine. He was a farmer, not a fighter, so in order to get involved in the war he needed to become a warrior (a Jedi). It goes on and on. All the stuff that happens before we meet Luke is about how the plans got to him.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
    HemlockCordial and deadrats like this.
  5. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

This is what works for me:

I have to have a full story before I can even think about any revisions to the narrative. If I don't, then I'm endlessly "fixing" things and not in a very productive way. With a partial book, I don't even know what my story's strengths are and what themes could be fully explored told using that plotline.

A full plotline also allows me to know where to put important information so the pacing is more even.

Recently I started using a whiteboard and posted notes. One color post it is for key events that I feel (at least at this time) need to be in there. Another color is for minor events that might be a little more fluid. I'm drawing all over that board and changing things up. Writing questions.

I use good software for writing that allows for good note-taking. Scriver is a fan favorite, but I'm a cheapskate and use yWriter. Both of them allow me to keep track of characters. Put notes into the chapter. Flawlessly move scenes around, etc.

HemlockCordial likes this.
  6. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Okay, I think I completely agree with the point you're making even if the whole Star Wars reference is lost on me. LOL. Even without reading anything by the OP, I would assume that this is what's going on.

Xoic likes this.
  7. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I remebered this thread when I ran across this video today:

It's set to start where she discusses cohesiveness in writing. Shaelyn always has good advice.

HemlockCordial likes this.
  8. HemlockCordial

HemlockCordial Member

Currently Reading::
    "No. 44, The Mysterious Stranger" by Mark Twain
    Thank you everyone for the feedback/suggestions and the video! "Economy" was a good tip for this, as well. Very important to ensure the "spine" of the story is clear, but I think I probably struggle the most with clarity... That was really good to hear from Shaelyn's video.

I did get that chapter ironed out, but it's hard to know how I did it and I'm still muddling my way through the mechanics of storytelling. So much of this is still an intuitive process.

Xoic likes this.