1. em thompson

em thompson New Member

Self-publish and be damned . . .

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by em thompson, Mar 3, 2024.

I have been writing longer than I care to remember. Having said that, my memory is not what it was. My day job – if you can call it that – was at the sharp end of the music industry, working with household names, producing albums and building recording studios. In what time Ive had, I have written eight novels and when I sold most of my businesses a few years ago, made it my mission – nay, my obsession – to revise them to a level I finally felt happy with. I self-published the first of these - Krill - late last year and have been gratified by the reviews. Having run (major and minor) record labels, I found the self-publishing journey convoluted, to say the least. There is so much information online . . . mostly at a price. Sadly, I found most of it useless, apparently designed for writers with bottomless pockets and a catalogue of fifty or so books. I therefore decided to write a blog on my website based upon my own experiences and mistakes, concentrating on the practicalities. It is as much about what not to do (most of which I did) as what to do. Other than that, I live in north London, have an MA in modern history from Balliol College, Oxford, read, eat, listen to music and share my eccentric life with two cats, Fusscat and Piglet.
    em thompson

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Hey, welcome to the board. Glad you found your way here.

3. Eastwind

Eastwind New Member Contest Winner 2024

Hi and welcome.

4. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Welcome, Em.

5. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Hello and welcome Em, looking forward to seeing you in the forums!

6. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I'm nosy. I snoop out of general curiosity re: author marketing, so I checked out your book on Amazon. Congratulations on actually being discoverable in the first place! There is a different Krill book that takes top spot, but you're not hidden by the algorithm at all.

I also like the book cover. It's a bit non-standard, but I think in a good way. The art makes it look like an old paperback you find in a used bookstore, yet the typeface has modern styling.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

petra4 likes this.
  7. petra4

petra4 Active Member

Currently Reading::
    A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
    Hi Em and welcome :D