1. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Currently Reading::
    NOTHING! Because who can stand to read and write at the same time?!

Pantser trying to Outline - Help Wanted

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Gravy, Dec 14, 2023.

Please move if this is the wrong section.

I am a pretty good pantser when I do fanfic, but with original stuff I always get stuck in the middle, so I tried outlining my last project and it worked well. But now, I feel stuck trying to do it again. Any online resources or tips you have for going from pantser to plotter?

Last time I started with a scene list of things I wanted IN the story and then rearranged them into chapters/story flow. Is this how you do it? I also try and add different points to introduce a piece of lore or something, so it's not just dumped on the reader.

But in short, I am struggling to outline again and I would love some advice. I know you need a little bit of both, but I really want to get this stupid book done already!

Thanks for your help.

ps102 likes this.
  2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Hey Gravy, here's one approach to plotting for pantsers:

I don't know if this approach appeals to you, but if you search youtube with the words plotting and pantsers you'll find a bunch more.

Gravy and ps102 like this.
  3. ps102

ps102 PureSnows102 Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

There are definitely people who write entirely without an outline. I did this for my first project and it was torture because I had to basically brute force my way through story structure. I worked draft after draft after draft after draft until the story resembled a typical one I would read or watch. Obviously, that's a very inefficient way to write. But I think other writers would handle it a lot better.

The video @Xoic linked is good if you want to do a minimum amount of plotting. I did this exact thing the first time I tried to outline but I didn't feel like I did enough outlining, so I looked into the Snowflake Method.

I mention this because you wrote that you made a scene list. The Snowflake Method also involves writing a scene list, but there are a couple of other steps besides that to help shape your scene list into something a lot better.

There seems to be a couple versions of the method floating around the Internet. A very thorough ten-step one and a more minimal eight-step one. I did the eight-step one recently for my new book and I really liked it. That's because I like to do some discovery work; I don't like too much outlining. But I don't like too little of it either.

The original concept and version was developed by Randy Ingermanson and he's got it on his site. But he's also written a whole book about it.

Good luck with your book!

Gravy, PiP and Louanne Learning like this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I don’t outlive because it doesn’t work for me, I tend to find that I’m writing a completely different story that the one I outlined

that said I do have some idea where I’m going in the loosest sense like my PI is going to catch the bad guy, get the girl and save the world ( or whatever)

For the OP I’d tend to suggest that you treat outlining like you are pantsing a story in very spare detail

Gravy likes this.
  5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

For me it has to do with how complicated the story is. If it's simple and doesn't have complex twists and turns, I don't need to plot, I can just play it by ear and have fun with it.

However, I've reached a point where I feel it's important to understand how plotting works and what the elements of it are. Understanding that can be very helpful whether you're going to plan a particular story or not. Just understanding what an act is, a turning point, the inciting incident and the denoument etc helps you understand how story works, whether you're going to plan it all out or not.

Gravy likes this.
  6. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Currently Reading::
    NOTHING! Because who can stand to read and write at the same time?!
    Haha, I relate to this so much. I will try and outline, but then the plot will go astray because it does. I think you're onto something with the loose outline, because I also love when a story surprises me. I think I should try your advice of pantsing with very little detail.