1. Chris Bullock

Chris Bullock Banned

Screenwriting New Writing Software, Worth it?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Chris Bullock, Mar 22, 2024.

Hey, I am new here. I have been a screenwriter for about 9-10 years of my life and I just had a chance to look at this new screenwriting tool was wondering if any of you have actually had a chance to look at it? It is an ai software and I think this in the future is going to be the go to writing tool. Here is the (link deleted) link for it If you guys can check it and tell me what are your thoughts on it. That would be great because right now I am in a sort of a crisis. And in a HUGE writer's block for about 6-7 months now so I started looking at these tools, now that I've found a tool. I've started feeling really guilty about using Ai. Please tell me If I'm doing the right thing using it or not? It would really be great. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2024
  2. Amontillado

Amontillado Senior Member

Anything that breaks writer's block can't be all bad. Try not to get hooked on AI, though, except as a search tool.

Please accept my apologies for not visiting that site. If generative AI is a luscious cheeseburger dripping with greasy goodness, I am a vegetarian. Or something like that.

My go-to for writer's block, having spent my time as a news writer, is to start with a phrase or a premise and answer who, what, where, when, why, and how. That will often take me a long way toward the free flow of words I want.

Best of luck in your writing.

ps102, w. bogart and Joe_Hall like this.
  3. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

I use AI from time to time mostly for research...you can ask it about Aztec gods to Egyptian mummies and it will spit facts you can use. But have it write my stories from a prompt I give it? Never. That is like having the AI as an uncredited ghost writer.

w. bogart likes this.
  4. Angy

Angy Member

I find it terrifying.
    Soon AI will steal the jobs of screenwriters, writers, painters/drawers, and musicians.
    No AI can replace or even help a screenwriter.

When I have writer's block, I turn to other stories, do other activities, take up other hobbies.
    I'm sorry, but using a tool like this makes me feel like a fraud.
    I prefer to continue making mistakes, but at least they are mistakes, I have blocks, they are genuine, they are mine.

5. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

If you are using AI to advance your work, I have to ask. Is it still your work? I can see using tools like Gramerly, or prowriting aid, as they function as tools, like a human editor is a tool for an author.

6. ps102

ps102 PureSnows102 Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

It's also worth to examine the site itself.

I highly question the integrity of whoever made this model. There is a blog on their page with a bunch of posts about writing theory. It doesn't take very long to realize that all of these blog posts are written with AI... using minimal human editing. But this isn't explicitly mentioned anywhere.

The site's UX design also sucks. Right off the bat, you have a very blurry banner that clearly wasn't made to be used in the way it is. The banner is also clearly AI generated and you should keep that in mind.

Scrolling down, there are a bunch of text-dense containers that spit out text gradually with some very bold promises like... your stories don't just come alive—they soar and As you embark on your journey with me, you're not just writing; you're entering a realm where each word and storyline is infused with a unique blend of traditional narrative wisdom and the cutting-edge capabilities of AI.

Those are some really big things to promise to your users.

And also, those promises were also written by AI! So, the author of this tool basically went to an LLM and typed something like: Write me some really pursuive paragraphs on why users should use my tools.

The creator couldn't even be bothered to come up with that on his own. What writing skills does he/she have? I'm personally not going to trust some person with my work who can't even write a single paragraph.

And also, perhaps the most important point relates to the purple button to get you started. The button says "Start our story."

Our story? We all know that there is a legal gray area with AI and copyright. I'm not an expert on this area and I'm going to make no claims, but by putting this story inside Jollybird, I wonder what the copyright law thinks of it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
  7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

It was the ding dong "Chris" in Pakistan who posted the question. Help me! I have writer's block!

Peace out, girlscout!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024