0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Hero with absolutely TERRIBLE publicity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rorschach's Inkwell

Rorschach's Inkwell New Member

Need some help with character motivation

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Rorschach's Inkwell, Jan 19, 2024.

So, I have a fun problem: For a character I'm developing (for a story within a story) I have three potential motivations, and I can work equally well with any of them- I just need to pick one.

But I can't. It's weird, my choice paralysis usually hits on evens.

But, I have been wanting an excuse to try out the poll on this forum, and this problem gives me that excuse.

My three potential motivations are:

Villain victimized by a greater Villain (and now seeks to oppose said greater Villain's goals)

A bad guy turned good by changing cultural norms (wait what do you mean that's a good thing now?)

A hero with terrible publicity (people... actually see I was trying to do the right thing back then?)

Would you mind taking a second to click on one for me, please?

2. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

It seems these three options all would fit with different types of stories. The first one - villain opposing a villain - would fit well with an action story. The second one - changing cultural norms - sounds like a character-driven story and would focus more on the character arc. The last one suggests a comedy - you could really have fun with it.

3. Rorschach's Inkwell

Rorschach's Inkwell New Member

Exactly.

My characters will be making a movie, all three of these options will be brought up, but I can only devote the time to do one. Which is a bummer.