1. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Live-screening the writing process for fans?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Madman, Feb 4, 2024.

I've been thinking about doing this if I ever become successful enough. Showing your screen live while you're writing, editing, outlining, drafting, etc. Only for some stories, and perhaps only for a select group of fans?

This shows them your process and may be of interest to people in general.

There would be some slow moments of course, where you delete whole paragraphs only to retype them again. But the ecstasy in seeing a story unfold in real-time might be interesting. Could be a chat next to the video where the fans can guess at what may happen next or just comment away.

What do you think?

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I don't know. Doesn't sound like it would be very exciting for the viewer. Are people into that? I'm just picturing them watching me noodle between "plethora" and "myriad" three times before a finally type "a lot."

Not the Territory and Madman like this.
  3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I wouldn't think a livestream would be very interesting—about like watching paint dry. But maybe an edited version. Record it live and then edit out all the boring stuff (which would be an incredibly boring job). Better yet, don't record all of it, just parts. And intersperse closeups on the words with shots of you staring pensively into space, scratching your ass, and then pouring and chugging a tumbler of whiskey. The Writing Life, amirite? :superagree: :supercheeky:

4. Lili.A.Pemberton

Lili.A.Pemberton Active Member

Over on Youtube, there are some authors who do this. Most of them just put their camera at an angle at the room and livestream themselves typing on the computer instead of their screen though, and they title their steam "Write With Me" so it's less aimed at hardcore fans of their novels and more just fellow novel writers who happen to follow their content. There is one author though who does as you described and livestreams their entire writing process including beta revisions and such. Typically they do it two to three times a day for an hour+ each day and there's around 3~15 people who watch regularly while doing their own writing so, like...

You can absolutely do it, I just don't think you'd attract a lot of people, and the people you do attract will probably be more fellow writers than your actual readers.

Madman and Xoic like this.
  5. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

Would there be anything left after editing out the boring stuff? Watching paint dry or grass grow would be more interesting in my opinion.

Honestly I think your time could be better spent elsewhere. I don't think even hard-core fans of your work would find this interesting beyond the 30 seconds of curiosity factor.

Madman, Lili.A.Pemberton and Xoic like this.
  6. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Possibly a brief video of the editing process, but only as a refined experience rather than a livestream.

Eh, when you end up with big fans, they'll want bits and pieces of what inspires you or why you made certain decisions. Trivia, basically.

Madman likes this.
  7. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I read an article about something like this years ago. It was a country in South America, but I can't remember which one. Anyway, they would have these writer writing and there story showing up on a big screen. It was held in a bar, and I think the bar goers were somehow voting. The writers were going head to head with a crowd right there cheering them on. It went on for a series of nights, and the winner was given a book deal. I think you might need to get your viewers into a bar for this to work. Seriously, though, there has to be something fun about it. Otherwise, as I always say, no one likes to read a first draft.

8. KiraAnn

KiraAnn Senior Member

I suppose you could consider that Bob Ross' show was the same concept, except he's actually doing something.

w. bogart likes this.
  9. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Yeah, this would probably not be very popular at all, but more for a small niche of hardcore fans or people interested in the profession, perhaps.

Isn't writing doing something?

10. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Ross is doing something visual where as most of the process of writing happens inside a writers head. There’s nothing very exciting about watching a writer write words on the page unless they also give a voiceover in which they verbalise those thoughts… and even then it’s only going to be of niche interest and short lived

w. bogart and Madman like this.
  11. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

I recently found out Pirateaba does something like this on Patreon, the difference is the video is of the screen where the writing is going on. Keep in mind this is only available to subscribers.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    Madman likes this.