1. Robert Menard

Robert Menard New Member

Is this the correct usage of a semi colon?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Robert Menard, Jan 30, 2024.

Hey guys, I'm beginning to edit my newest short story called "The Impossible" and am wondering if this would be an appropriate use of the semi colon. I am new at using them so I just wanted to double check from you guys out there to see if i am on the right track.

"And to make matters worse, when she got out of the shower; she dried herself off and then looked in the mirror."

If any of you guys could give me your feedback on this I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks and have a great day.

2. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Currently Reading::
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    No, in this case a comma would be more appropriate than a semicolon. I'm also not sure of the sentence itself. I guess I'd need more context to know for sure. Perhaps the sentences before and maybe after. But on its own, it could be interpreted that the act of drying herself off is what made matters worse.

petra4 and Louanne Learning like this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Not at all. It's as classic a comma as comma gets, like @Set2Stun said. A semicolon is used to connect two INDEPENDENT clauses not already linked by a conjunction. The independent qualifier is crucial. If the clauses can stand by themselves as separate, full stop sentences on the theoretical level, there's no semicolon needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2024
    petra4 likes this.
  4. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Yeah, it should be a comma.

Semicolon is for two independent clauses that are closely related*.

In other words, both sides of that semicolon need to have a complete sentence. In this case:
    Cannot stand on its own and so does not work with the semicolon, but
    can stand on its own.

*...unless you're using the semicolon to links a series of things in a list: "I need a, b, and c; and x, y, and z."

5. Robert Menard

Robert Menard New Member

Ok guys, thank you so much!