How many chapters before the trigger event?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Banananarchiste, Aug 24, 2017.

1. No1Ozz

No1Ozz New Member

Well, the hook is really in the prologue, how one God wants a jewel his brother has and steals it and wars break out over the jewel. But the first 4 chapters are Garion, the true main character of the series, growing up with his aunt on a farm. In chapter five is when they leave the farm and the story actually starts moving forward to the rest of the story line.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Inciting incident in the prologue is a common approach, nothing wrong with that.

however four chapters thereafter in which nothing much of importance happens might be too many, depending of course on how long the chapters are, and what else happens

3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I wasn't talking about just the hook, which just means something exciting happens that draws readers in, but more importantly the inciting incident (it was called the trigger event in this thread). That's the event that forces the main character's life to change, though he or she might resist getting involved at first. It's when they get dragged forcibly into it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
  4. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

One trick you can do is jump forward in time, show the chaos underway, and then come back to your MC growing up. I was watching Goodfellas the other day, and it uses this technique. I haven't read the book it's based on. "Wiseguy", it's called.

Kind of interesting (I'm looking at this now), the book starts with a prologue spelling out explicitly how the story ends. Scorsese's movie starts with a murder in progress. Both the book and the movie start in the future and then rewind to show the MC growing up with gangsters. Scorsese chose an opening that was visually arresting. He changed the opening because of the medium, but it's the same trick, showing the audience what's coming down the road and then rewinding to lead into it.

Anyway, maybe that sort of trick would work for you.

5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

That's the same technique used in Fight Club, Sunset Boulevard, and American Beauty. And in two of them it begins by showing the protagonist's death. In Fight Club it's the symbolic death of his shadow self Tyler Durden. Then, in each case, the story backs up and shows us how he got there—sort of unspooling the doomed life that could end no other way. It works for other things too, it doesn't have to begin with the death of the main character. It's a good way to begin when a chronological unfolding of the character's life would be pretty dull. And you also want to be careful to only present the moments in the character's life that really matter, that contribute to the story powerfully—a very focused and succinct memoir. I'd try to boil that down to a few paragraphs, or a few pages at most.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  6. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

That sounds like David Eddings Belgariad.

7. No1Ozz

No1Ozz New Member

Yes that's what I was talking about and using the series as an example on him waiting to chapter 5 to start his inciting incident. So I was wondering how long into my book I should start my inciting incident. I don't have a "Garion" character to grow up but on the other hand I have this feeling jumping write into the event that will set the character's path throughout the rest of the story is to soon. Like I should show how the times are and getting to know the characters before turning their world upside down. I guess by writing it like that I guess I'm thinking I can show by the end of the story how much the characters have grown. Like I said for some reason it feels jumping right into it in the first chapter is to soon, when I went back to reread what I wrote once I had several chapters written.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
  8. w. bogart

There is a reason the inciting incident is refered to as the hook. The incident has the reader wondering who the MC will handle the problem.

But you are the author, and can do as you like with your story. As a reader, i can return or trash the book, if I feel it isn't worth the effort to reader.

I suggest you take a look at the story grid, for the concept of SAM, or your ideal reader.

PiP likes this.
  9. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

A lot of readers don't read the prolog. You want to start your story with the story. It needs to be interesting and the reader needs to feel that there is a purpose and that things are going to happen early on. Showing how much a character changes by the end of the story won't matter much if readers stop reading because it feel like nothing or nothing important is happening. And character growth is something that is usually pretty obvious by the end of the story without a long, boring, multi-chapter introduction to the story.

w. bogart likes this.
  10. w. bogart

If you are going to use a prolog, it needs to engage the reader, and have a purpose. keep in mind, many publishers don't like them.

one method that seems to work with fantasy, is quoting a historic text from the world. this gives background abd a method for making things interesting.

11. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Currently Reading::
    NOTHING! Because who can stand to read and write at the same time?!
    I honestly think I am the minority here in terms of when to start the story. I say, when it feels natural and right. That doesn't mean the first page or even the first chapter. I love books like Dracula by Stoker and older stories like that that take to set up the world before beginning the story. My thing is that one has to have a solid foundation before the adventure can begin. I like a slow beginning. I like getting to know the characters and the world.

However, that doesn't mean that nothing happens. Little things, little bricks are put in place and the stories become beautiful through all the careful setup.

So, I say, take your time. Let the story naturally flow.

12. w. bogart

The inciting incident, is a hook that grabs the readers attention in some way. That doesn't mean you can't continue to expand on your world and characters. It means you have the readers attention so you can expand on those, and have the reader follow along. Without the hook, why should the reader invest their time and effort?

13. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

I've been told the inciting event should happen no later than chapter 3.

The inciting event in my current story was in chapter 11. Some rearranging was called for...
    On the other hand, the inciting event of my first book was in chapter 1, and some people still thought it took a while to get going. Look, if they didn't notice a tower falling and nearly crushing the protagonist and his car, maybe read slower.

Anyway, I try to hang on to the chapter 3 rule.

w. bogart likes this.
  14. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    There's another angle here that needs to be considered. Who are you, and to whom is the manuscript being submitted?

Self-publishing, new: no later than chapter 2 or 3, but the earlier the better
    Self-publishing, established: do whatever you want
    Traditional publishing, established: do whatever you want (to the extent of what your editor and/or agent will accept)
    Agents or traditional publishing, new: inciting incident is on page 1

Louanne Learning likes this.
  15. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I'd say with attention spans being what they are, and entertainment options being what they are, get em quick before something else does.

Bakkerbaard and w. bogart like this.
  16. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

We also shouldn’t confuse the hook with the inciting incident

something exciting/ interesting/ engaging needs to happen more or less straight away in order to snare reader interest and get them to read the book, but it doesn’t have to be the inciting incident for the main plot.

if we consider for example “ wolf of the plains” by Conn Igulden ( the first in his Ghengis khan series) the book opens with Ghengis and his brothers as young boys climbing a cliff to take eagle chicks for falconry

but the main inciting incident for the book and series ( the death of Ghengis’s father and the expulsion of the boys and mother from the clan ) actually happens 8 or so chapters in

w. bogart and Gravy like this.
  17. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

NOTHING! Because who can stand to read and write at the same time?!
    I agree! I think there should be something that draws in the reader, but I personally don't like books that toss me into the story right away. I would rather take time to get to know the world and then have the issues unfold.