1. Inconstant Spoon

Inconstant Spoon New Member

Currently Reading::
    A World Out of Time

Hiding a joke or twist until the end.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Inconstant Spoon, Nov 15, 2023.

Hi!

I am working on a story with a joke similar to the reveal at the end of Neil Gaiman's Graveyard Book. I will mention that below in a spoiler for context:

There is a joke in the novel around the phrase Jack of all trades, master of none. One of the important characters is named Jack and he becomes a master, which makes him no longer a master of none.

Gaiman reveals portions of the joke throughout the novel without spoiling it. Some readers probably figured it out while reading the novel, but a good many seem to have been surprised.

As I am obviously privy to the joke I want to write into my story, I am finding it difficult to reveal only enough information to move the plot without tipping off the reader too early. Has anyone written something like this and, if so, do you have any tips or tests to help determine what is too much to share?

Thanks!

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Well, is it one gag or something that encompasses the entire plot? Gaiman does a bunch of little cheeky things like that in most of his books. I haven't read this particular one, but is it the gag itself that ties everything together, or is he just having some fun?

Rzero likes this.
  3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

It sounds like it works mainly becasue the character's name is Jack, and he masters a trade, so it sort of superficially fits the joke. Like you could write a story about a girl named Mary who's a shepardess for a flock of lambs, and relate it to Mary had a little lamb. It's mostly just about the name and the job matching.

4. Inconstant Spoon

Inconstant Spoon New Member

Currently Reading::
    A World Out of Time
    Thank you both for your replies!

I've had a month to think about this and I have developed my idea further and better understand the challenge. My intention is to have a science fiction story with a serious plot that only becomes a joke at the end. I would like my readers to come away appreciating the story for the plot while also being entertained by the joke.

With that said, the task that I find difficult in writing this story is making sure there is not enough information leading up to the joke to ruin the surprise. My plan so far has been to write a version and show it to a reader and ask at what point they guessed the joke and then rewrite and repeat. The main problem is that a reader can only help once. I suppose my question is really if there is a better test reader strategy or possibly a workflow I could use to keep track of revealing details.

5. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I think you want to be careful here not being too on the nose in spelling this out as some sort of twist or joke at the end of your story or at any point really. Using the "jack of all trades master of none" wording could cheapen your work and come across cliche. If this phrase suits your Jack character in the story, I think you can show that to readers in. your story, but using it as some sort of joke or ending might not come across as the clever reveal you are hoping for.

Inconstant Spoon likes this.
  6. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

I would say, create a story the works first. Then if you really want to add a joke or twist go back and add it.

Inconstant Spoon likes this.