1. yuriythebest

yuriythebest New Member

Hello all! Behold my glory!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by yuriythebest, Mar 14, 2024.

Hello all, glad you are here on my introduction - this means my clickbait (or is it???) title worked.
    Almost done with my first book, I will NOT be self-publishing since that's like throwing your book of a cliff.
    I found that for my 'process' in writing fiction it's easier to write the "exciting bits" first, sort of like a book trailer for your book, then keep filling in more and more details, and then massage the whole thing to iron out the inconsistencies. and voila!

Mogador likes this.
  2. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Welcome. Have you had unfortunate experiences with self-publishing that lead you to the cliff analogy?

3. Not the Territory

Not the Territory Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Welcome, Yuri.

I, for one, intend to throw all my books off a cliff.

Angy likes this.
  4. Catriona Grace

With a good updraft, they'll fly like birds.

5. yuriythebest

yuriythebest New Member

Yes, allbeit in the world of mobile games, so I have low expectations of the writing world's self-publishing scene.
    I wrote my first (non-fiction) book some years ago, and the publisher helped me with the grammar/editing/did lots of back and forth, but that didn't sell either, so this time will be trying a different publisher.

6. Rath Darkblade

Rath Darkblade Active Member

Glory, eh? *steeples his fingers, à la Mr. Burns* ;)

Welcome, Yuri. I'm not so sure that the 'writing world's self-publishing scene' is comparable to the 'mobile-game world's self-publishing scene', but I've little experience with either. Can you elaborate, please? This sounds interesting.

Also, what was your book about? Which publisher did you go with? I thought that having an agent was de rigueur before approaching a publisher. Or has that changed?

Welcome again! :)

7. Catriona Grace

It never has been de rigueur across the world of publishers. Some publishers accept only agented work. Other perfectly legitimate publishers accept queries directly from writers.

Rath Darkblade likes this.
  8. Mogador

Mogador Senior Member

I can't have been the only one expecting an inappropriate selfie in this thread.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    Set2Stun and Rath Darkblade like this.
  9. Rath Darkblade

Thank you, Catriona. :) Maybe it's only the publishers I've seen.

Does having an agent help, regardless of whether you need one or not?

You weren't. I wasn't sure what to expect. I've never been so happy to see nothing inappropriate.

10. Catriona Grace

I am very fond of my agent. He sold two of my books to Kensington Publishing Corp. within six months of reading the first one himself. Kensington accepts unagented queries, but a query from me wouldn't have carried the same weight as a recommendation from this agent. Dear Agent negotiated a very good advance and dealt with the business of hammering out a favorable contract. Yes, I am very fond of my agent, and I'm glad I put my effort into finding him instead of putting that effort into finding a publisher on my own.

11. Rath Darkblade

Thank you again, Catriona. :) I wasn't sure. The more I've looked into publishing, the more pitfalls I saw, and the more reluctant I became about taking that step.

The unanswerable question, I suppose, is finding the right agent. That's something that only I can answer. Thank you!

12. Catriona Grace

You're welcome. Good luck with the search.

13. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Hello and welcome yuriy - looking forward to seeing you in the forums! I have to ask - best at what?