1. miltonclaude

miltonclaude Banned

Grammar and writing mistakes?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by miltonclaude, Jan 16, 2024.

Hey everyone,

I was reading about publishing books and the problems that writers face. Then, I found an article discussing mistakes that the author makes when writing his book.

Mistakes such as signaler/plural, past/present, and grammar of course. In my case, My Arabic language is perfect. English is good. Deutsche is zero.

I paid $5 to a translator to translate my English text to Deutsche. I don't know what she wrote! but I count on her feedback.

So, as a book for kids, is it fine to have 1 or 2 mistakes? Is it a common thing to see in short stories?

2. miltonclaude

miltonclaude Banned

thanks in advance for any help

3. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

A few mistakes can be charming. Too many to detract from the text and you have a problem.

$5 to translate a book? How big and complicated was that book? Sounds very cheap.

PiP likes this.
  4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I don't think you want to have any mistakes. I read a lot of literary journals and magazines as well as short story collections. I can't remember ever seeing a mistake in any of those. Sure, things happen, but you should aim for no mistakes. If you will be selling your short stories, you will end up working with at least one editor if not more. Then a lot of places send out galleys so everything is double or triple checked by the time it goes to print. I'm not saying that things don't slip through the cracks, but it's rare and should be a rare. I think you are more likely to come across mistakes like those in self publishing. And that's probably on the author for not hiring a good editor. I believe even the best writers need a good editor no matter what publishing path you take.

w. bogart and Madman like this.
  5. AndreaHale

AndreaHale Banned

To be honest, I always pay attention to grammar and mistakes. I think that if you write something, you publish your writing, then you have to be sure that everything is perfect. That's why there are editors to make your stories/books perfect.
    When I write I try to be sure that everything is correct. I don't work with editors for now because I'm a beginner, but I use grammar software.
    The same when I read - I always pay attention to such things, and one mistake is okay, we are all people and everything happens, but if there are more, well, it's not good I think.
    But it's just my opinion.

Madman likes this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

the standard for a trad published novel is said to be one mistake per 10,000 words, because even editors are human and miss things - like confusing signaler with single :D, but obviously you should aim for as few as possible.

$5 is ludicrously cheap for a novel translation, chances are all they did was put it through a translation program

7. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I noticed that too, but I think you mean sniglet.

8. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

Mistakes like those being discussed here, only belong in dialogue or internal thoughts of a character where they fit. And ahould be hunted down in the rest of the text.

Madman likes this.