Do characters need to change?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by deadrats, Nov 10, 2022.

1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Flat arcs happen a lot in action adventure, thriller, crime... anything where the plot is more important that the character. Think of Jack reacher for example, the plot is him rolling into town finding a woman in trouble, kills the bad guys, gets the girl and then rolls out of town... his character hasnt changed one iota from book 1 to book 25

same with your average police/crime book.. hard bitten detective hunts and catches serial killer doesn't require said hard bitten detective to have an arc

Same with PI books, if you think of spenser for hire - while things have happen to spenser over the course of thirty some books, around his relationship with susan mostly, his actual character is pretty much exactly the same between the Godwulf Manuscript and Sixkill (I lost interest when Parker died and ace atkins started writing them.)

Xoic, deadrats and Steerpike like this.
  2. FFBurwick

FFBurwick Member

I have stories I write where there are things to learn, integral to the stories. The characters involved might not change so much, although it can happen, but they can be wiser from the experience and know more than they did to start with. And certainly, there might be new connections, and maybe a better position. That's more than I yet get, myself, though more wisdom can apply.

Xoic and deadrats like this.
  3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I wonder how many of those could be classified as tragedies, specifically because the protaag refused to change? I'm not really familiar with any of them, except No Country, and that only through the movie. But then Anton Chigurh wasn't the protagonist, or was he? Maybe he was. Weird, I didn't think about it that way.

I agree that something definitely needs to change, or there's no story. Story pretty much is change, or the failure to do so when it's necessary, which would be tragedy. I have one of the Rabbit stories on my Kindle but haven't read very far into it yet. I'm wondering if those would fall into the categoy McKee calls Anti-Narrative, where the modernists or post-modernists are deliberately breaking the rules.

A flat arc character can change somewhat, they aren't completely inflexible. I don't claim to understand this perfectly, but there can be some kind of change so long as it isn't internal or at a deep character level. This is a part of it I don't know much about though, only from reading the blog posts abouit it on K M Weiland's site. She said they can learn new skills in order to deal with life's issues better, or—I don't remember right now. But it isn't the big deal we think of as a change arc, where it's the whole point of the story and it almost destroys them.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    ps102, Seven Crowns and deadrats like this.
  4. Xoic

Probably what's considered melodrama. At its worst it;s what you see in the old silent movies where Nell is tied to the tracks and the villain is twirling his moustache as the train approaches. It's pretty standard in soap operas today and certain other places. And then there are those things that rely on nostalgia or on a pleasant low-level emotion, like the Hallmark movies. Sorry @deadrats , I find though many of us haven't read more than a few genres, we're all familiar with all of them through TV and movies.

Not the Territory, ps102 and deadrats like this.
  5. Xoic

True—plot-driven as opposed to character-driven. I don't know offhand if plot-driven stories always have a flat character arc or not. Probably not. These things are usually pretty flexible.

deadrats likes this.
  6. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I think the sheriff is the real protagonist in that story precisely because he does have kind of a discernible arc.

Xoic and Seven Crowns like this.
  7. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Yeah, you may be right. I always think of (have to look it up) Josh Brolin's character, Moss, as the MC, just because he's on the adventure. He sees an opportunity and takes it, and that's his mistake. That is kind of Shakespearean when you think about it. Greed is his fatal flaw? I think what Xoic was saying is true. A lot of those non-growth stories seem to end in tragedy. But you're right . . . the sheriff is coming to terms with the sickness of the world and he chooses to walk away from it (it's no country for old men), the opposite of Moss, who tries to conquer it.

8. Xoic

Spoiler alert for No Country for Old Men
    Same here, but then he dies! I had forgotten Tommy Lee was the main character, and even that he was in it. Not saying he was forgettable, he's always excellent, but I just have this spotty memory...

I guess they were working the same trick Hitchcock did in Psycho, where you think Marion Crane is the MC until the fateful shower scene.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  9. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Yeah, false protagonist.

Xoic likes this.
  10. Xoic

My overall response to the OP:

"Do characters need to change?"

... Yes, at least their underwear. :supercool:

Unless the story takes place in one day I suppose. Then no.

ps102 likes this.
  11. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

What about stories where the character undergoes change (maybe even a big change), but reverts back to who they were by the end of the story?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
  12. ps102

ps102 PureSnows102 Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Hamlet is a nice example actually, throughout the play, he refused to change, always driven by his desire for revenge. A writer of today might have applied a full character arc on him by say, having him learn that revenge isn't right and that there are other ways to do things. Maybe throw in the twist that the ghost of his father was Satan himself trying to temp him into wrongdoing to fortify this.

But that never happens, Hamlet never overcomes his desire for revenge, and everyone around him dies at the end. That's a bad ending, a tragedy. His frame of mind never changes, driven to the same goal until the bitter end.

montecarlo, Xoic and Seven Crowns like this.
  13. Lili.A.Pemberton

Lili.A.Pemberton Active Member

What about it?

Xoic likes this.
  14. ps102

ps102 PureSnows102 Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

I've done that! I put my character through an atrociously difficult adventure she thought of as a defining moment in her life. By the end of that adventure, I did a twist and made it so none of it actually happened, which threw my character into a massive state of depression and hopelessness, just as she had originally started.

The final act covered her discovering that although it was a lie, her memories of it were still valid observations of herself, and not inherit lies. She explores what was real and what was fake, and changes once again.

I believe in this story a lot, I have 8 drafts of it but it still needs quite a bit of polishing and perhaps a lot of re-writing. I always feel like I haven't done it enough justice.

Jlivy3 and deadrats like this.
  15. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

There'd be nothing to discuss if that wasn't a thing.

Xoic and Lili.A.Pemberton like this.
  16. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

and you know movies and tv shows have scripts and scene writers and everything, they don't just spontaneously appear...illustrating a point only with novels requires everyone to have read said novel and there are only a few that are so famous most people know what happens.

like a while back i tried to illustrate a point about effective telling by referencing the prologue to James Clavells King Rat... it was very quickly apparent that the people arguing 'all telling is bad' had never read it, or even heard of it (top tip its not generally speaking about rats), it was very quickly apparent that the person arguing most loudly thought we were talking about James Herbert's 'The Rats' (which actually does also start with some fairly effective telling but is a very different book)

17. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Hilarious. Though I did quite like Herbert's novel.

18. Glenn Middleton

Glenn Middleton New Member

Yes but have them change due to an event that impacts them personally.

19. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

It just occurred to me that there's a flip side to the "tragic hero who can't or won't change" - the "moral hero" who succeeds specifically because they don't change, no matter what life/society/whatever throws at them. They tend to pop up in religious stories; the Book of Job might be the definitive example, and modern Christian fiction (The Left Behind series, The Christ Clone Trilogy, etc.) is rife with them. The point of the stories is generally to reinforce to the reader that strong faith (in whatever belief the author is pushing) will be rewarded, so they often don't have much appeal outside their particular faith group, but within it they can be enormously popular.

I think the unchanging heroes of many thrillers, crime fiction, military fiction, and the like are often cast from this mold. They're driven by an unshakable faith in order, traditional society, and "Truth, Justice, and The American Way," rather than exclusively religious faith (though there's often a lot of overlap), but a lot of their appeal to readers is that they reinforce their belief that if the good guys fight for what's right without compromising, they'll win in the end.

Atlas Shrugged is an interesting example, both because it's secular (the faith being in Rand's free-market Objectivist philosophy) and because the heroes aren't really victorious by traditional standards. They don't win and change their corrupt society, but instead withdraw from it to live together without compromise; their victory is in remaining true to themselves despite the cost (and now you don't need to slog through 1,000 pages of rubbish to know it).

Hmm... now that I'm thinking of this, though, I think that the MC or POV character often starts out as a skeptic, then gets converted to the faith. So, that would be more of a traditional character growth arc, with the unchanging, faithful character(s) in a supporting/mentor role (I expect many stories like this follow Campbell's "Hero's Journey" structure). Actually, even Job isn't really the protagonist of his own story, is he? The framework is about God and Satan, I think. I'd have to go back and read it again. Regardless, there are plenty of "faithful MC" stories, but I think they tend to stay in their niche, because people usually prefer seeing the MC change.

20. Xoic

What you're calling faith is what Weiland calls 'the truth the hero knows, that the rest of the scoiety doesn't'. It's her Truth and Lie thing. The whole society believes a lie while only the protagonist understands the truth of the situation. But faith works just as well, for certian situations anyway. Yes, I'm pretty sure she said they have unshakeable faith in the truth, even though everyone else is against it. She may have used a different word, but it would mean the same thing as faith.
    Well, unless it's an ongoing series. In a series the change usually happens at the beginning or has already happened. Or the protagonist just already knows the truth. A Superman or Captain America already has unshakeable faith in their own code and won't be swayed from it, unless it's one of those arcs where they turn evil. The cops in a detective procedural or a police show already knot what's right and wrong, unless it's a show questioning the nature of the police or morality itself. But for most of them it's a standard flat heroic arc, like Sherlock Holmes and James Bond.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    Louanne Learning likes this.
  21. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

And then it's always more engaging and interesting, adds layers, to see some kind of awakening in them.

22. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

I'm not familiar with Weiland, but I'll take your word for it. My insights may not be profound or original, but I actually take comfort in that, since if different people keep having the same idea, we might all be onto something. :D

23. Xoic

Oh sorry, I thought you were referring to her blog post:
    This is where I learned about flat character arcs. I posted a link, but I think it was basically unnoticeable.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    AntPoems likes this.
  24. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Interesting discussion!

My first thought was to recall some advice a writing teacher gave their class: "If you want to know what the story is about, see who changes between the beginning and the end."

But, as people have pointed out, a lot of stories aren't based on that. The characters really didn't change in most of the old television series; they would just encounter a different situation each week, deal with it as they could, and move on to the next episode. The device of the character changing as the series progresses is something that happened only recently.

And Sherlock Holmes has been mentioned as an example of a character that didn't change, but just provided a clothesline on which Conan Doyle hung one plot after another. Watson changed a bit, going from bachelor to married man, but that really didn't influence the plot at all.

But just because Holmes didn't change doesn't mean that he couldn't. There was a book out by Mitch Collin called A Slight Trick of the Mind, in which Holmes is very old and losing some of the faculties that served him when he was younger. You see him frustrated at his inability to remember or to deal with the loss of his friends. (If this seems familiar to you, it may be because it was made into a very fine movie called Mr. Holmes starring Ian McKellen and Laura Linney.) The character's change is precisely what the book and movie are about.

AntPoems likes this.
  25. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

I would argue that Sherlock Holmes' reasoning abilities mixed with some of his traits are what makes the plot, a sort of a character of a character. It is not about what he feels that makes the story, but rather the way he approaches a mystery--his overly-logical mind is a metaphor for the socio-technological changes of the time.