1. JBB

JBB New Member

Brand New Here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JBB, Jan 17, 2024.

Hi everyone,
    I just joined and wanted to say hello. I've been writing off and on the majority of my life. I worked for a local government organization for 12 years and have written a true document about what goes on 'behind the scenes' so to speak, and that is actually what brings me here...questions/thoughts about what my next step needs to be relating to possible legal hurdles, publishing, etc. Looking forward to interacting with people here!

Anyone ever written anything similar? Or a true account of something? This is definitely not 'creative writing'.
    :)

petra4 and rinwillwin like this.
  2. petra4

petra4 Active Member

Currently Reading::
    A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
    Hi JBB and welcome :)

JBB likes this.
  3. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Hello and welcome JBB, you'll find a lot of great resources here to help you out in your writing journey. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums!

4. Rath Darkblade

Rath Darkblade Active Member

G'day from Australia, JBB! Welcome. :)

A true account of what goes on 'behind the scenes' in local government, eh? Hmm. Please be very careful not to use the names of real people, organizations, departments, or places -- otherwise, these people might sue you for libel. (Libel is a defamatory statement that is written down; slander is the same, but delivered orally).

Of course I'm NOT accusing you of anything! I don't know what you wrote or what the facts are. But the people involved might decide to sue you, especially if you use their real names. To be safe, change their names, and also change the names of departments, companies you dealt with, the places where this happened, and maybe even the dates when this happened. :) This way, if these people still decide to sue, they will have fewer grounds.

The idea of the story you wrote sounds similar to 'Yes Minister', 'House of Cards' etc. It sounds very interesting, but as before, please cover yourself to avoid being sued. ;) Good luck!

petra4, JBB, PiP and 1 other person like this.
  5. JBB

JBB New Member

Thank you for all the responses! I will try to check back in soon :)

6. Annaelizabeth

Annaelizabeth New Member

Hello! I am new as well! Just learning my way around, I look forward to hearing more from you! Good luck in your endeavors!

7. Rath Darkblade

Rath Darkblade Active Member

Welcome, Annaelizabeth! :)

8. Luanne Williams

Luanne Williams Member

What groups will you join?