1. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Faber est suae quisque fortunae Contributor

Copyright Book Titles

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Rad Scribbler, Mar 3, 2024.

Hoping someone can advise.

Thousands of books are published every year, and to come up with a unique book title will eventually become more harder.

I am aware that book 'trademarks' are copyrighted e.g Dummies series of books.

Are book titles subject to copyright? What if someone else comes up with the same title you have in mind, albeit a different story?

2. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

In the US, book titles are not copyrighted. There's no other way to find out if you're considering a title already used than by an internet search.

Here's an article on books that share a title:

https://bookriot.com/books-with-the-same-title/

3. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I will say there are plenty of books with the same title.
    It gets confusing when someone comes into the library and says "I want [INSERT TITLE]" then you give them the book and its the wrong one.
    Before I knew to ask who the author was (most times, they cant give me the author), I got stuck in that conundrum. Person asked for "Still Life" so I got them Still Life by Sarah Winman when they wanted Still Life by Louise Penny.

I know what you mean, though. I caught myself googling my title to make sure it wasn't common enough to have multiple books with it before I committed to it....

4. Rad Scribbler

Rad Scribbler Faber est suae quisque fortunae Contributor

Thanks Louanne and JT Woody for your feedback.

J.T. Woody and Louanne Learning like this.