1. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

Why not a screenplay?

Discussion in 'Scripts and screenplays' started by Bakkerbaard, Aug 11, 2022.

I looked in the Scripts subforum, but it was more actual scripts in there than general questions sort of related to scripts. I'll leave placement up to the mods. (@big soft moose @EFMingo ?)

So, I've been toying with the idea to turn my book into a screenplay.
    I'm pretty sure that's a dumb idea, but why?

Aside from that I've never written a screenplay, of course. I just seem to remember a lot of people being against the idea.
    If I were to do it, by the way, it'll mostly be for practice. Maybe to keep the imagination idling while I wait for writer's block on other stories to go away.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

we have a whole sub forum for this sort of stuff in by writing form - scripts (i'll move the thread)

3. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

I've also never written a screenplay, so take this with the appropriate amount of salt, but I can't see any reason why you shouldn't do that.

It's your first screenplay so it'll probably suck, but that's how we learn, right? Start shit, get better.

4. Brandon P.

Brandon P. Active Member

I've flirted with the idea too, but I dunno what the odds of it actually getting made into a movie are. I've read that a lot of big studios won't even accept unsolicited screenplays, so going indie might be the best route. Although, if your story requires a lot of special effects, you're going to need a helluva crowdfunding campaign to cover the costs.

5. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

Thanks. I went straight for the Scripts & Screenplays forum and assumed that was it.

From experiences in my youth I've learned that it's usually 'start shit, get kicked repeatedly in an alley behind the bar', but hey, if a studio boss want to fly over and kick me in an alley, I'll at least know I got their attention.

Yeah... The only reason I'm not just trying my luck at the roulette table is because that cost time and money.
    Seriously-ish, though. That might be a reason not to do it. I'd basically be writing it for no reason at all. If I really push my imagination, I might be writing it just in case a studio likes a base to start with.

Just a kick-ass muscle car. Maybe a leather jacket, but I could lend it to them in a pinch.

6. Pixit

Pixit Member

I sometimes think movies based on novels or short stories are more likely to be successful, but there are no rules. The quickest way to find out if your novel would function well on the screen is to write that screenplay and see what happens next.

7. Angy

Angy Member

I've done it many times, I find it inspiring.
    I have transformed novels into screenplays and screenplays into novels.
    Do it, mostly for yourself, for your own pleasure, and for your own enjoyment, and it will make you a better writer.

Bakkerbaard likes this.
  8. Nemo Nusquam

Nemo Nusquam Member

Currently Reading::
    In Praise of Shadows, Notes from Underground
    I'd say there's no reason whatsoever not to do it. On the contrary, as writers, I believe trying different mediums and formats can expand our repertoire and capabilities. You want to be a novelist? Well then, go ahead and try your hand at some essays and poetry!
    Eclecticism shapes the uniqueness of your craft.