1. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

Using testimonial blurb

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by montecarlo, Mar 10, 2024.

I know it's been a while since I posted. Family is growing and I've been getting my manuscript ready for the market. I had the good fortune to get the manuscript in front of a bestselling author. He loved the book and gave me a testimonial quote.

I was also thinking about what I can do to build the coveted mailing list. And I had this thought: what if I purchase a few dozen of his books, and use facebook ads to target the author's fans to host a giveaway contest? I'd be able to build my mailing list and specifically towards people who would be more inclined to purchase based off of the testimonial quote.

What's the reaction here? Specifically, what sort of communication should I be in with the author? Just do it, tell him I am doing it, ask him if it's okay, or ditch the idea entirely?

2. pyroglyphian

pyroglyphian Word Painter

It’s an interesting idea. A couple of observations:

The giveaway might attract people more interested in the prize than your work.

If the testimonial is strong enough to drive purchases, why not just advertise directly with it? Why complicate with the giveaway?

Catrin Lewis and Cave Troll like this.