1. WNP

WNP Member

Pegasus Publishers

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by WNP, Aug 23, 2024.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about these publishers. I submitted to them a few weeks ago and just received and acceptance email.

The email included the below:

“has been accepted for publication and we would like to offer you one of our inclusive contracts as I feel the work is well written and has a good chance of success in the market place.

While this contract requires a share of the production costs to be provided by the author, it is otherwise no different to our traditional contracts.”

I’m just wondering if it’s common for authors to have to contribute to the production costs? I thought it would be the other way around with the author receiving an advance.

Any one with experience that can offer their view?

2. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

If you're paying for any part of the production costs, it's a hybrid or vanity press and not "traditional," which is a misleading term used for trade publishing. Trade publishing does not require financial input by authors.

Ah. Just looked at the Pegasus site which states they offer "...traditional and hybrid contracts..." and brags about how great the company is by offering author testimonials. That's a big NOPE for me.

Unless you're looking to pay to publish, I'd keep looking. It's worthwhile to check out publishers and agents before you go to the trouble of submitting work to them.

Good luck with your publishing journey!

3. balgay

balgay Member

X Equestris likes this.
  4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

That's vanity all the way. They'll except anything if you're willing to pay. Avoid those like the plague.

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Pegasus are a notorious vanity , up there with Austin McCauley and Novum. Don't walk away, run.
    In any trad deal money goes to the author from the publisher not the other way around

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

And if you are looking to pay to publish because you're cash rich and time poor go with a service company like BookBaby not someone who'll probably aim to take most of the royalties and in some cases the copyright too

7. WNP

WNP Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. I’ll let them know I won’t be paying.

Set2Stun likes this.