1. PádraigAgScríobh

PádraigAgScríobh New Member

Dia dhaoibh

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PádraigAgScríobh, Sep 13, 2023.

Hi all,

My name is Pádraig, I'm a long-term writer. I'm actually just finished book #11 - however, this is the first book I'll be looking to publish. I'm hoping I can find some help here - I'm extremely new to (attempting) publishing, I'll appreciate any push in the right direction, or who to contact!

Set2Stun, B.E. Nugent and PiP like this.
  2. B.E. Nugent

B.E. Nugent Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Dia dhuit agus fáilte romhat.
    (as far as my gaelic goes, sin é)

PádraigAgScríobh likes this.
  3. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Welcome. One of the best hints I got was to check out Duotrope. Deadrats suggested it, and it has been very useful.

4. PádraigAgScríobh

Thank you ma'am (?), will do.

5. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

I love Duotrope and use it all the time, but keep in mind it has a monthly subscription fee. I think you can get ten days free or something if you have your query letter, synopsis, etc. all sorted out, and want to go on a submitting spree. They feature both agents and publishers.

If you're more interested in going the agent route, I'd recommend using Query Tracker. It's free. And a lot of the agents use the site's own "QueryManager" submitter portal. Yeah, there's still a bunch who want you to send emails, and instead of sending a form rejection, they'll simply never respond to you.

Welcome, and good luck with your submissions !

6. PádraigAgScríobh

Thank you, and I'll be signing up for both. In terms of the highlighted - am I right in saying a synopsis is essentially the "blurb", while the query letter is a one page letter to the agent/agency about the work you're looking to publish?

Set2Stun likes this.
  7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

No, the synopsis is a much longer document that explains everything that happens in the novel, blow by blow, withholding nothing. It's very dry and explanatory, used to tell the agent/editor exactly what happens in the book without cliffhangers, foreshadowing, reveals or anything like that. It can easily be 10 or more pages long, depending on the length of the book. Think of it like a detailed blueprint... boring but necessary. The agents use this to see how the book will play out and end without having to read it yet.

The blurb is what you would tend to see on the back cover. A quick paragraph or two to entice a reader to buy the book.

Set2Stun and PádraigAgScríobh like this.
  8. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Synopsis writing is high on my list of things I hate to do, so I chose to query agents who didn't require a synopsis.

Now the rest of the story: a publisher has exhibited interest in my novel, though there is no firm yea or nay as of yet. When I spoke to the puiblisher on Monday, I mentioned the three books that I have in my writing pipeline. That afternoon, my agent called to say the publisher requested brief written synopses to determine what might make the best second book. Ergo: I write THREE of the damned things in about twelve hours. :superlaugh: You can run, but you can't hide.

Set2Stun likes this.