1. TimiT

TimiT New Member

Acquaintances to Lovers relationship development

Discussion in 'Scripts and screenplays' started by TimiT, Nov 11, 2023.

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of writing my first screenplay.
    It takes place in a small town in Germany and follows a 19 year old student who experiences his first summer at university away from his hometown.
    This experience also involves a romantic relationship with another student, but first of all the characters that are going to be involved in the relationship

Thilo, 19, geography student: A nice, charismatic boy, who is also quite naive when it comes to relationships as he has never been in one.
    Romina, 18, medicine student: A charming, intelligent , who has had quite a few relationships before.

The two meet when Romina moves to the city Thilo lives in. Romina is a friend of a girl who also happens to be one of Thilos best friends. They already have a 5 person friend group in which Romina also gets slowly included.

I´d be happy if someone had a good ideas how the two slowly move from a platonic to a romantic relationship. If you want any more informations on the characters or setting, feel free to ask :)

Thanks in advance!

Tim

(I´m not an english speaking native, so sorry for any errors :))

Rzero likes this.
  2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Well that should be very interesting—I've never seen a relationship between a boy and a comma before. :supercool: :supergrin: I have the feeling it won't last long, just a brief pause. If it were a period it might be more permantent. Ba-dump tiss!

Lol sorry, but you gave me the perfect setup, I would be remiss if I failed to accept it. :superwink:

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

3. OddSockSamurai

OddSockSamurai New Member

In terms of ACT I, II, and III then the highest point of this relationship would be at the start of Act III. It's about sprinkling in scenes that the two share, which builds upon their relationship, up towards Act II. Their first scene should establish them meeting, and then the first 25% of their scenes should show them as platonic. The next 25% kind of muddies the lines, if only a little. The next 25% is them becoming closer, and finally the last 25% is them falling for each other etc, etc.

4. TimiT

TimiT New Member

Thanks ;)

5. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

I think the trick with platonic to intimate transitions is to establish some interest from the beginning, nothing like love at first sight, of course, but attraction, flirtation, or maybe even mild annoyance, something that makes them mean something to each other immediately for better or worse. Later, they need to see each other in a new light, whether it's an interest they didn't know they shared or an experience featuring just the two of them. That could be an adventure or just a conversation, so long as it makes each really take notice of the other for the first time.

OddSockSamurai likes this.