1. Raven

Raven Banned

Why Do You Write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Raven, Jun 13, 2007.

Raven submitted a new resource:

Why Do You Write? - Converted from thread...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015
  2. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

1. If by this you mean, "What kinds of things make you want to write," the answer is, "Anything." A flash of inspiration, a funny idea, another good writer- anything.

2. Because I want to do it as a living someday, and I've been told that I'm not too shabby. Also, it's fun, and it gets the ideas out of my head.

3. I like to do funny stuff that makes you think. I do this because I hate-- and constantly dread writing-- literature or entertainment that is one of the "extremes"- senseless, annoying violence and sex that attempts to draw itself together with a wet excuse for a "storyline" (See half of the TV shows out today), or pathetically mopy, thoughtful, boring chunks of literature. (See half of the popular music today, namely emo crap. Also, try "classic fantasy", which is a code-name for a bunch of horribly unoriginal cliches strung together by boring writing.) So, to avoid these ends of the spectrum, I go for something with a sense of humor and thoughtlessness- carving the best bits out of the lower spectrum- while still hanging onto the lower echelons of philosophy, thinking, and satire, from the above spectrum.
    Sound good?

4. Hearing my friends and teachers say that it was good, and actually hearing it in an honest way, not just a "oh it's a student so everything I say has to be positive even if it's lying" way.

5. Mostly humor with dashes of sci-fi/fantasy in it. Or sci-fi/fantasy with dashes of humor in it. Whatever.

lexusmr and Shamgar81 like this.
  3. powertodream

powertodream New Member

1. Nothing compells me. I write for the same reason I breathe. Can't not do it.

2. Because I love it, and have for most of my life.

3.I write what I write because I think I have a story worth telling. I've always been interested in politics/political science/international relations and I think there's a lot of great fiction material, some of it fairly original, if you look for it.

4. When I was in 1st grade, I wrote a "book". It was called "The Apple Tree". My teacher had it spiral bound and gave me a copy of it. That's when and why.

5. Political/adventure fiction. Think sorta-Tom Clancy. Sorta. And...horrified to admit this, but I've recently started to enjoy writing fanfiction again. *blush*

ISalem, Antaus, lexusmr and 1 other person like this.
  4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Writing is one of my creative outlets. It isn't the only one, but each way I channel the creative urge has different characteristics. Photography lets me capture a viewpoint that already exists, a moment in time preseved. And I exercise creativeity in post-processing an image; in a darkroom in my younger days, on a computer now. I have also dabbled in oil painting, but I never was good enough for the effort that goes into it. I cook, which is a very pleasurable but impermanent creative outlet. Other creative pursuits meet their own needs. But writing is the most direct conduit from my imagination.

I have always been fascinated with words. The right choice of word can change a fuzzy description to a crystalline clarity. Sentences have a structure, a color, and a rhythm. Even the mathematics of formal grammars fascinates me, which is why I spent over a decade working with compilers for computer languages.

However, as you can tell, I have interests all over the map. With only 24 hours in a day, and an annoying need to spend some of it sleeping, my focus shifts. Creative writing has too often given way to other obsessions,

In the last couple of years, I returned to college to finish my bachelor degerr at long last. Naturally, that has meant I have had to do a great deal of nonfiction writing. At work, I have often been called upon to write or revise documentation, because I write such material clearly and accurately. In college, I have improved upon that, and gotten into a writing habit.

Now that I am graduating, I have found that this is a good time to form the habits to write fiction. I have written a couple of short stories that I was never completely happy with. Now is the opportunity for me to improve my creative writing.

I like looking at more or less ordinary situations and see them sideways. Some of these stick in my head and I want to let other people see them. This is what becomes the kind of short story I write. I also am interested in mystery stories and science fiction, and hope I will be able to grow into those genres.

Meanwhile, I will continue to write stories like the ones I have posted here, and learn to tell the stories better. I need to write better dialog, and I need to develop characters better, particularly supporting characters.

So, that's the short answer to the question...

rem likes this.
  5. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

This is why.

Lypsee likes this.
  6. Sayso

Sayso New Member

I have no choice but to write because I would go insane if I didn't get all these stories out of my head.
    I like to write soppy romance stories with a little bit of ooh la la thrown in for good measure. And sci fi sometimes.

Lypsee likes this.
  7. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

What compells you to write? how i am feeling at the time. i tend to write best when i am upset about something, and that compells me almost.
    Why do you write? i write to try and take away from my own life. if life is going bad for me then i make someone elses life up and it takes me away from my problems. if, however, like today, i am in an excellent mood, then i tend not to write.

What makes you write what you write? see above

What Made you decide you liked to write? when i felt like i was good at it. i am not brillaint at a lot og things so i liked it when i learnt i wasn't half bad at writing. so i just continued.

What Do You Write? poerty, novels (or begin them) and short stories. and bits of random prose. whatever really.

Heather

Villion_ and Crybaby like this.
  8. xx._bareyoursoul

xx._bareyoursoul New Member

What compells you to write?
    If I haven't written anything for awhile, reading a really good book makes me want to sit down and have a go at it myself. Also, stumbling across great ideas in the strangest of places is great motivation. My current project was sparked by just browsing RPG forums and the lack of fantasy ones. It compelled me to sit down, do some serious worldbuilding, and it just sparked into a huge summer project.

Why do you write?
    I write because it's something I can do just for me. It gives me a sense of pride in myself. All through my schooling, I've had people tell me that I'm good at it, and that only reinforces the dream. The fact that people believe in me is inspiring and special. I feel like I'm selling myself short if I don't write.

What makes you write what you write?
    I enjoy writing fantasy because I like the idea of getting away from everything in a world with no rules, yet can still be made believeable. The idea of magic has always appealed to me, as has dreaming the impossible and making it happen on a blank page.

What Made you decide you liked to write?
    I honestly don't have a clue. I've been doing it for as long as I can remember. I've been encouraged to do it for as long as I can remember. I've always enjoyed it. I enjoy telling stories.

What Do You Write?
    Novels and novellas. Personally, I feel that my shorter works are weaker. I feel like there's more that I could have said when I finish. Negative experiences with wordcounts and scholastic writing competitions might also have something to do with it. Haha. Yes, I'm a proud and bitter young woman.

Genre-wise I've been leaning toward fantasy recently, and the path of future projects I've lined up for myself seem to lend in that direction. However, I do have two other contemporary works that I plan on writing sometime, perhaps during the year, and they take less creative juice for me to get going. I tend to be very drained during the year, and it's nice to focus on the drama of fictional characters rather than on my own.

Crybaby likes this.
  9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...all that i see/hear/know...

Why do you write?

...might as well ask why do i breathe... writing comes as naturally to me as breathing and i've had a compulsion to write for most of my life... while i live, i must write...

...all that i see/hear/know...

...odd question... is there ever one single thing?... i always loved to read... writing was just there at some point... i found early on that i did it well and that it was the thing i liked best to do...

What Do You Write?

...anything that takes words... but since i gave up my old write-for-money life to become a full time philosopher, i write mainly essays and what i call 'philosetry' [poetry with a philosophical bent]...

Crybaby likes this.
  10. RustyHicks

RustyHicks New Member

What compells you to write?: Life does.

Why do you write? Like Sayso said, I would go insane if I didn't write. It is very healthy therapy for me.

What makes you want to write? To feel thoughts pour out of me faster than my fingers can flash across the keyboard.

What made you decide to write? In grade school I use to read Star Wars books and wanted to write about the adventures of Luke Skywalker and my own adventures of my childhood.

What do you write? Drama, mystery, sci fi, anything that pops my interest at the time. Except I am no good at romance.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

How many other people here were first inspired to write sequels or side stories to familiar stories from books, TV or film?

I was introduced to series like The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Ken Holt Mysteries, Tom Swift, and Rick Brant Science Mysteries when I was very young (about 6-7?). The earliest attempts to write that I can remember were based on these characters, and usually consisted of a dozen or so scribble pages with stick figure cover illustrations.

12. sweetlilac

sweetlilac New Member

as for me

i write because of a desire to spill out myinner most thoughts..sometimes im only alone in the house and i cant find someone to talk to..thats why i grab my pen and paper..then write..

i think writing is a way of expressing yourself..disposing your feelings..so you could find time to think about something or ur life..stuffs like that..

its an itch..that you just cant get rid off..

;)

ISalem likes this.
  13. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Why Do You Write?

Wanting to find the right way to release the creativity that hangs around in my head like a dark cloud some times. No what compells me to write is the way so many thigns can have so many different meaning and how truely wonderful it is to paint an image with words instead of actual paints and the like.

Why do you write?

I guess I kind of covered this in the above question lol
    But I'd go insane and do go insane if I cannot write.

Nothing really other than my own mind and hands.

When I wrote my very first poem at a very young age and brought tears to the eyes of several of my teachers and my prinicple, then my parents gt called into the school lol it was funny, and I have never stopped since. Also my priciple put me into a creative writing course at a young age and I found it to be the most exhilarating experience of my life :D

What Do You Write?

I write, well try to write poetry of all genres and short stories and novels, mainly in the horror/gore genre and fantasy genre. I have a horror one that I am wroking on at the moment, which is full of gruesome scenes lol gore is always good :D:rolleyes:

~Torana

Crybaby likes this.
  14. satisverborum2003

satisverborum2003 New Member

Because I get a great idea that I know that I need to write down.

Why do you write?
    Because I enjoy it and when I write I feel calmer. Writing for me is kind of like an anti-depressant.

Most of my short stories falls into the genres of sci-fi and fantasy because those were the kind of stories I enjoyed reading when I was younger and I must admit, I love creating new worlds and doing research.

I remembered when I was seven year old. At that point I couldn't write anything so one of my primary teachers helped me to write a story about myself...( My name is, I live in, I like...) and at the minute I went back home I used the knowledge that I gained in the classroom and began writing stories of my own. My first story was about going into the laundry room. Ever since then, I haven't looked back.

What Do You Write?

As above, sci-fi and fantasy.

ISalem and Crybaby like this.
  15. Dcara83

Dcara83 New Member

this

i don't consider it writing but more like taking dictation for the lord our god.

1. to reach the children and people like me.
    2. to let my mouth fly all over gods creation and habe the s*** splatter where it may:D
    3. because of what happened against me
    4. the reflection of myself both + and -
    5. the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth because god helped me

16. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Everything. The simplist thing can precipitate an idea. A sight, a situation, a conversation, even a road sign.

Why do you write?
    Hmmm. I just do, really. Whenever I go a long period without writing I get really stressed. I suppose it's like carthesis for the soul :p

What makes you write what you write?I write what I read, generally... I also like to have some sort of historical spin on it, and pop culture references always see to find their way in...

I just started writing in primary school, and it felt natural. And I kept writing from there.

What Do You Write?
    Whatever. I started off with fantasy, like a lot of people, I guess. But I've kind of evolved from that, to the point where I try to write across genres, combining bits of different genres and whatever makes the story work. In terms of form, I write novels mostly. Occasionally I write short stories or poetry, but not often, because I can't keep my writings short...

17. BarbP

BarbP New Member

I personally feel it is a given talent and I have received fairly good reviews on serveral of my short stories.

Why do you write?
    I strongly relate to romance, history and have traveled extensively. I feel a strong desire to conglomerate those works together into short stories and express them to my readers. I prefer to write about pleasurable or factual envents.

I hope to upgrade my writing skills into a more professional level.

I began writing on Fanfiction.net, fictional stories as it applied to specific TV shows. That is where I began mixing my passion of romance, travel and history together. My most masterful short story theme revolved around the Titanic.

What Do You Write?
    As I stated before, my main passion centers around Romance and History, however; I have also done some blogging on Current Event issues.

18. giselle_zella

giselle_zella New Member

The only thing that can be considered as compelling me to write is my heart. I believe in the saying “Always follow your heart”. If my heart tells me to do something, if it knows that it’s good for me, then I will most definitely do it. This pertains to writing among other things.

Why do you write?
    I write for the sheer pleasure of creating a literary work of art. I write for myself as well as for others. Writing is something I’m good at and it gives me a sense of pride in myself and what I can accomplish. People enjoy reading my work and I enjoy it when they read it as well. I hope to achieve great things with my writing sometime in the future. Also, it is difficult for me not to write. When I write, I have an outlet; a refuge. I can escape in my own fantasy world and not face reality, no matter how wonderful, for as long as I like or need to.

What I write is, most of the time, not governed by feelings or emotions. I can usually write anything at any time. Sometimes, however, a particular mood or emotion can dictate what appears on the page before me. Events, experiences, happenings and the people around me also have a part to play in what I write and how I write it. Even things that I see or hear in passing influence what is written. I’m an observant person, and everything I observe stays in my mind, usually contributing to a piece of writing at some point. I also read a great deal, and what I read stays with me and gives me ideas (and vocabulary!:)

What made you decide you liked to write?

I have been writing ever since I learned how to form letters and words. Receiving praise for the stories I wrote made me realize that writing was something I was good at. Soon after, I realized that I enjoyed putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and writing stories and even poems, and that I had a talent for it. Writing gives me pleasure. I love it when people read my writing and simply enjoy what they read. I have experienced that I have helped people with my writing, something I hope to do more in the future.

What Do You Write?

I write any and everything. I have the ability to turn anything into a story and I utilise it to my own, and to others’, enjoyment. My favourite genres are, however, romance and fantasy. I am a hopeless romantic, and I am, happily, able to weave a wonderful romantic story, soppy or not. A lot of what I write contains elements of romance. In fact, there is hardly any of my writing at all without at least romantic undertones.

19. mollyburton

mollyburton New Member

What compells you to write? If I didn't write, I would have become a serial killer years ago. The words and thoughts in my mind would have driven me insane.

Why do you write? The reason I write is to create something beautiful. Because I am better with words on paper than spoken words. Because I can convey myriad different thoughts and emotions in one sentence written that would be forgotten and overlooked in everyday speach. Because no one says the important things outloud, and I can write them down. Because the miniscule details and imperfections in the world don't matter unless you're caught in a moment trying to capture something for someone who wasn't there and never will be.

What makes you write what you write? What I write is directly dependant on my mood. What makes me write it? God knows. I certainly don't.

What Made you decide you liked to write? Sometimes writing feels like dying. Sometimes is physically hurts to pen down the memories and the thoughts I have. Sometimes I think I am going to be suffocated, and crushed by all the things I haven't written. That's how I know I like it. It is so important in my life that my writing could kill me. It's a passion, and a talent, and a calling and a purpose all wrapped up in one enigmatic hobby.

What Do You Write? I write the things that are clammered up in my head. I write about things I have been thinking about for a long time. I write about things I wish would happen, and I write about things that will never happen. I write about the way things were and the way I wish they will be, and I write about things that never existed at all. I write about whatever the hell I want to write about.

20. SnipSnap

SnipSnap Active Member

The fact that I suck at drawing.

Why do you write?

Why Not?

I write what I write because I See what I See.

When I realized that I could write a better Harry Potter book than JK Rowling; How wrong I was. But I stuck w/ poetry when I found out how cool it could be.

What Do You Write?

Poetry about things that make me want to smile, vomit, or sometimes hurl a knife into my belly button. Just the basics. Also some Short Stories on the same theme.

21. fluteguy18

fluteguy18 New Member

1. I don't really know why I write. I guess I am sort of programmed to do so. I have been writing as long as I can remember, and my parents still have several of the 'books' I wrote when I was about 6 years old.

2. Again, I don't know what compels me to do so. I guess I just feel as if I need to. A creative outlet I guess.

3. I am not really sure. I guess I just feel that I have a story to tell.

4. I guess because I have a thorough love for books, I also have a deep desire to see my work published along with the rest of the books on my bookcase. But alas, I only write for fun because I don't really see why people would want to read what I am writing. I just write for fun actually.

5. I believe that I like to write because it is far more easy to put to paper what is in my head than to say it orally. Besides, it seems that when I do put pen to paper, I can go off into my own little world. It is a place that is private, and that is mine alone. No one can bother me there.

6. I am currently writing fantasy, but I do write many other things. Usually, if it isn't fantasy, it is straight up fiction without a label. Typically though, if it is a short story, it has some sort of hidden message through it... a message that I want to tell people, but have no real way of doing so.

Seraph751 likes this.
  22. Edward

Edward Active Member

What compels you to write?
    I have thousands of ideas crawling around in my head that I would have no other way of getting out.

Why do you write?
    All the other good mediums cost money (though seriously, $3.50 for a composition book?! that's absurd! Still cheaper than making a movie or a game)
    I don't really know. I like to write Fantasy, but I barely read any fantasy and only get it from video games and the occasional movie.

I don't know, writing is like my way of organizing the ideas (though, I mainly just write what flows out and then tidy up the edges, erasing a whole in the page isn't very organized)

What Do You Write?
    Fantasy. Stories that take place in a fictional world (thus letting me play God). Lately I've been trying to write a horror story, though it's not turning out as horror..y as I would like. More like adventure with monsters.

Seraph751 likes this.
  23. DivineLemon

DivineLemon New Member

Reading. I am in awe when I can get so involved in a story that my whole life seemed to merge into its confines. I would like to give that feeling to others with my own tales.

Why do you write?

It is a talent that I have found soothing and it is always there when you need to smile.

Imagination. Once I get a story in my head, there is no holding it in. Each idea broadens and becomes a line on a page. Each line grows to be a paragraph and so on. You get my point.

I won an essay contest. Once I knew that others liked my works I knew that I could go somewhere with my imagination and love, yes love, of words.

What Do You Write?

What ever comes to mind. A poem here, a short story there, though I do have a passion for writing articles.

ISalem and Seraph751 like this.
  24. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I don't know how to put it. Everything I do, see, hear, touch and taste is a story for me to write. If I do not write it, I feel burdened and stressed out.

Why do you write?

In my 1-dimensional world of words, no one can imagine how much life and emotion thrives in it. My pains, joys and fragments of soul - all adorn it with their best ability. It is me, only written down in a new way.

Four words: Everything which pricks me.

I never decided it until this year when the question came forward that what I wanted to be when I grow up. The only thing I really loved to do was writing, so I realized that if not a job, it was my life partner.

What Do You Write?

Tragedy, Drama, Relationships and Pain. Fantasy is fun but I hate to write it down. Writing it down bores me. (Funny: I hate acting out fiction, but I love acting out fantasy :p)

Seraph751 likes this.
  25. bluejt2000

bluejt2000 Member

I'd answer a love of masochism to all your questions!

John

spottydotty and Fabulous Jewels like this.